All Eminence three way OB by Klang und Ton

Rudolf

All Eminence three way OB by Klang und Ton
« on: 12 Dec 2009, 07:07 pm »
German loudspeaker DIY magazine Klang und Ton http://www.klangundton.de developed a fully passive three way OB with Alpha 15 A and Beta 8 CX with EAPT 50 coaxial horn:

OB is 58 cm wide and 90 cm high. Frequency response is rugged, but on level. They say that the 600-700 Hz notch disappears off axis:

XO frequencies are 350 Hz and 4 kHz. You will understand that I cannot publish more details (like Xover schematics), but I try to be helpful if somebody shows real interest. :wink:

Rudolf

Telstar

Re: All Eminence three way OB by Klang und Ton
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2009, 10:40 pm »
Much more than that dip, what worries me is the peak at 6-7k.

THWO

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2009, 11:14 pm »
Smart way to mount the speakers.

Till

THWO

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2009, 11:18 pm »
@ peaks and dips: How about moving the speakers sidewards on the baffle and may be increadsing its hight?

Till

Rudolf

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2009, 10:27 am »
@ peaks and dips: How about moving the speakers sidewards on the baffle and may be increadsing its hight?
Till
Hi Till,

with a response like this (for the Beta 8 CX) on infinite baffle you don't stand a chance to correct much by moving the driver on the baffle:

Coaxial compression drivers working into a midrange driver cone are notorious for compromised FR too. Looks to me like they dealt flat response for high efficiency and easy construction. Which is not too bad as a design goal IMHO.

Rudolf

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:17 pm »
that frequency response looks plenty flat to me.  especially now in the age of dewices like behringer & deqx.   8)

doug s.

scorpion

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2009, 12:42 pm »
The whole article in German is here: http://www.adamhall.com/en/EB8CXA/productdetaildownload.html .

On the whole a brave attempt. It seems that Gather has learnt a bit after the disaster with Monacor SP-130X/8.
May be they should have chosen Beta 10CX for a smoother frequency response and tried to crossover to the driver as low as possible, perhaps
also investigated the ASD1001 that Hawthorne uses. Cost would have been much the same.

/Erling
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2009, 04:24 pm by scorpion »

freddyi

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2010, 04:24 pm »
that looks like a good project  - have Klang und Ton or other magazines published any Karlson coupler builds?