Salk Sound Comparo Party?

Bear

Salk Sound Comparo Party?
« on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:14 pm »
:idea: Salk Sound Comparo party....HT2-TL, HT3 or HT4, and Archos.

just throwing it out their as I think it would be interesting to hear how these compared in the same room and equipment.

newzooreview

Re: Salk Sound Comparo Party?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:24 pm »
Where?

Bear

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:30 pm »
just an idea for those salk owners out there....perhabs Jim could organize the venue and invite salk owners and potential new owners alike.   uh oh, its starting to look like a saturn commercial.   :roll:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:54 pm »
You could throw the party at my place here in Woodlbury, Minnesota.  I have HT3s and Songtowers on site now and electronics to drive them all.

I will even furnish the wine and cheese and instructions for sightseeing at the Megamall.

Regards,

Frank Van Astine

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:55 pm »
I have an idea.   :idea:   Let's meet at AK Fest or RMAF next year.   :thumb:

(If not at Frank's place earlier.)

MichiganMike

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2009, 06:16 pm »
I thought AK Fest was a Salk Signature Sound comparison event.  I spent 90% of my time at AK Fest 2009 in the Salk demonstration room listening to various speakers.  Many of the other rooms at AK Fest imho were cramped and ill-suited to critical listening. 

I appreciate the investment made by Jim Salk and Frank Van Astine in a large room at AK Fest 2009 that demonstrated the capabilities of the Salk speakers and AVA electronics.  I hope this may be justified again in 2010. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2009, 06:58 pm »
just an idea for those salk owners out there....perhabs Jim could organize the venue and invite salk owners and potential new owners alike.   uh oh, its starting to look like a saturn commercial.   :roll:

Jim's house, my house, AKFest.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2009, 07:15 pm »
I'll be around for AKfest.  Maybe Frank has a quick switch box that we could use to change speakers on the fly.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:43 pm »
I asked my wife, "Do you mind if I go to Detroit in April?"   :idea:  "What for?", she asked.   :(  I told her that I wanted to listen to some speakers.   :duh:   She replied, "I thought that you did that in Denver?"   :nono:  I told her that I wanted to do again, but it would be different this time, sort of.    :oops:    I will probably be there.   :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2009, 10:08 pm »
I asked my wife, "Do you mind if I go to Detroit in April?"   :idea:  "What for?", she asked.   :(  I told her that I wanted to listen to some speakers.   :duh:   She replied, "I thought that you did that in Denver?"   :nono:  I told her that I wanted to do again, but it would be different this time, sort of.    :oops:    I will probably be there.   :lol:

Keep reminding them - "Hey, I'm doing all of this so that I can spend all my time listening to music in the den rather than running around with some floozy!"  :wink:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2009, 10:22 pm »

Keep reminding them - "Hey, I'm doing all of this so that I can spend all my time listening to music in the den rather than running around with some floozy!"  :wink:

Maybe I can tell her that I am going to Vegas for the weekend, but I will sneak off to Detroit for AK Fest instead.   :scratch:

When I call her to tell her that I am bored, the rest of you will need to make a lot of noise in the background, or she won't believe that I am in Vegas.    8)

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2009, 10:55 pm »
You are all losers!  :lol:

For a small fee, I will keep this plot from your wives!

Wayner  aa

jermmd

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2009, 11:43 pm »
I'm dying to hear the HT4's. Any chance of getting a pair to New England for a nice comparison? I'd be will ing to host a get together. I'm almost half way between Boston and NYC (closer to NY). Or maybe George Zybar's place? I'd like to hear the HT4's up against his Vandy 5A's.

bryede

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:10 am »
Frank, how do you like the SongTowers?

You could throw the party at my place here in Woodlbury, Minnesota.  I have HT3s and Songtowers on site now and electronics to drive them all.

I will even furnish the wine and cheese and instructions for sightseeing at the Megamall.

Regards,

Frank Van Astine

kip_

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2009, 02:15 am »
This thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69044.0 might be useful for some Archos vs HT2 comparisons. Would apply somewhat to the HT1 and HT3 as well since they share the same midrange drivers.

mchuckp

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2010, 04:31 am »

I am planning on flying to Detroit from Salem, OR for AK Fest.  Meeting a few friends for the show.  One is a ST owner, like myself, and the other is shopping for new speaks.

Hope I see a few of you there.

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2010, 06:15 am »
We should definitely have a GTG.  I know I'd like to meet the lot of ya'll.

"If you build it (speakers), they will come."  :)

jd3

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2010, 10:42 am »
I'd planned on attending the last 2 years as it's only a 3 hour drive but something has always come up.  After we picked up a SongCenter last week at Jim's and heard his HT4's, my wife's hooked and has already made hotel reservations!  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

John

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2010, 01:24 pm »
As always for AKFest, I am more than willing to put someone up here at the house (about 15 minutes from AKFest location).  There is a guest room with king sized bed, private bath, satellite TV (non HD).  Perfect for those audiophools and spouses.  And if your spouses tend to get bored they can get a little R&R at my wife's wellness business during the day Fri or Sat as her location is in Livonia, right near the event.  http://www.truehlthalt.com/

And for the hearty souls, there is a Futon in the basement gameroom equipped with 42" Regza, surround, and Xbox with bath and refrigerator & microwave amenities.  This is right next to the HT and 2 channel rooms.  So I could actually board 2 to 4 folks.

Background checks, security deposit, and fingerprinting for some of you, for sure!! :flame:

mchuckp

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2010, 03:27 pm »
As always for AKFest, I am more than willing to put someone up here at the house (about 15 minutes from AKFest location).  There is a guest room with king sized bed, private bath, satellite TV (non HD).  Perfect for those audiophools and spouses.  And if your spouses tend to get bored they can get a little R&R at my wife's wellness business during the day Fri or Sat as her location is in Livonia, right near the event.  http://www.truehlthalt.com/

And for the hearty souls, there is a Futon in the basement gameroom equipped with 42" Regza, surround, and Xbox with bath and refrigerator & microwave amenities.  This is right next to the HT and 2 channel rooms.  So I could actually board 2 to 4 folks.

Background checks, security deposit, and fingerprinting for some of you, for sure!! :flame:

That's a very generous offer BRM.  I'd take you up on it if you had HD.  :cry:  Just kidding.  I'm heading up with some friends and was planning on staying at the hotel.  I'd like to see your generosity go to someone who needs this to make the show.

Either way, be cool to meet you and hey, maybe a road trip to your house to hear your set up!  I have very limited experience hearing high quality set ups in actual homes.  Now that I think about it, I think mine is the only one I've heard.  That's sad.