My Red and White HT1s

Dangerman

My Red and White HT1s
« on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:03 pm »
I've been living with my HT-1s for about 6 months now and finally got to taking some pictures this morning.  The pictures don't begin to capture the figure of the dyed maple veneer.  The front panel is actually much redder, and the whitewashed panels are cream-colored.  They sound even greater than they look!!!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: My Red and White HT1s
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:18 pm »
Those HT1 are cool.

Bear

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:21 pm »
yeah...those are nice!!!! what inspired the red and white theme?

newzooreview

Re: My Red and White HT-1s
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:22 pm »
Cool. The HT1s are much deeper than I realized. Is the white part made of maple?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2009, 05:45 pm »
Nice

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:15 pm »
Sweeeeet! As always, a beautiful finish from Jim.

Dangerman

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:16 pm »
yeah...those are nice!!!! what inspired the red and white theme?

The decision for the finish was determined by the budget, personal taste, my home decor, and Jim's advice.  I was originally thinking of a solid maple front baffle, with an exotic veneer on the rest of the cabinet, but that would cost a little more than I could spend on the project.  I knew I wanted the front baffle to contrast with the rest of ths cabinet, either by color or wood texture.  I thought of having the front baffle painted a deep bright high-gloss red, with the cabinet in curly maple veneer.  The idea for the whitewash dye comes from my childhood home, where we had a foyer with a maple floor with a whitewsh stain.  Jim suggested putting veneer on the front baffle and dyeing it red instead of painting because it would cost less and (he thought) look better than paint. I had a few other ideas, but Jim thought that the red/white combo would look best. Jim had some tiger maple veneer on hand that was just right for the job, and I decided on a high gloss hand rubbed finish.

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2009, 02:29 am »
Hi,

Sweet looking speakers!

The thing is with Jim's speakers is that they sound as good as they look.  I have a pair of ht2's and they are a great sounding speaker.  I'd have to spend a lot more if I wanted to upgrade them.

I wish I could have sprung for a pair of hand rubbed high gloss finish but I didn't have the budget to do so (I had to also figure shipping and customs duties as well).

Enjoy!

Regards

Rod

mpaulsen

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:10 pm »
Thats a very original choice of colors; I don't think I've seen ones in those colors before. It looks nice :)

What speaker stands do you have your HT-1s on?

Dangerman

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:40 pm »

What speaker stands do you have your HT-1s on?

Wow, I just logged on from work and see that my photos are much better than I realized.  My notebook made the red look kind of orange, and did not capture the wood grain.

The stands are by Target.  I customized them by adding the maple blocks, which are attached to the stands with machine screws.

Sonix

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:17 am »
Hi,

Sweet looking speakers!

The thing is with Jim's speakers is that they sound as good as they look.  I have a pair of ht2's and they are a great sounding speaker.  I'd have to spend a lot more if I wanted to upgrade them.

I wish I could have sprung for a pair of hand rubbed high gloss finish but I didn't have the budget to do so (I had to also figure shipping and customs duties as well).

Enjoy!

Regards

Rod

Hi Rod,

Just curious, because I am in the Philippines, but do you remember the cost for the freight and duty
to get your HT2's?  :o

Thanks,
Ken

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2010, 12:49 pm »
Hi Ken,

Shipping by sea from US - Australia was $400US.  Customs fee, quarantine, broker and vanguard holding store added another $1250AU.  Each country has different entry fees to consider and Phillipines may cost less than what it does to import a pair of speakers to Australia.

There is no speaker that I have listened to at a hifi store here in Perth that sounds as good for the price it cost to import the speakers.  The speakers look as good as furniture in a room and sound very good.  My previous speakers were nuforce s9's and the ht2's sound much better.

Regards

Rod