Records that I can't replace

jlupine

Records that I can't replace
« on: 11 Dec 2009, 08:46 pm »
It seems that there are far more recordings available on CDs than I remember on records (I don't like to say "vinyl").  Nonetheless, there are a few records that I was never able to replace.

Dances from the Court and Villages (16th-century French dance music)
  Grand Ecurie & Chambre du Roy/Malgoire      Odyssey

Carl Orff - Gassenhauer (Street Song) 
   There are two Schulwerk CDs available, but I preferred the                  arrangements on my old record, although the newer recordings may have more authentic performances.

William Walton - Music from Shakespearean Films
   Philharmonia Orchestra/Walton       Seraphim
   The current recordings tend to play the music behind readings from the plays.  I preferred my dialogue-free record despite the lower fidelity of an old recording.

Does anyone else have examples of irreplaceable music or performances ?

Jan

no1maestro

Re: Records that I can't replace
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:01 am »
I may be incorrect but I have not found CD versions of my early Pat Williams records on Verve. I know his later releases are there but not the really early ones.

Many of my LP soundtrack and original cast recordings have failed to be released on CD either!

fastbike

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2010, 05:43 pm »
When is the last time you saw a Toscanini or Furtwangler CD?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:02 pm »
Too many to list :cry:.

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:22 pm »
I've been looking for Georges Delerue's soundtrack for the "King Of Hearts" on CD for years. It's the only record I still have.

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2010, 07:57 pm »
Orff - "Music for Children." I have a four disc set of the complete works. Actually, much of the music was written by his wife.  It contains all the performances on the old Nonesuch Lp, and much more, of course. I ordered it from Germany.

As far as Walton goes, how about this?   http://www.amazon.com/Walton-Henry-V-Richard-III/dp/B00004LCB6/ref=pd_sim_m_1

GDeering

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2010, 11:45 am »
Orff - "Music for Children." I have a four disc set of the complete works.

Is that the set on DG?  If so there were two volumes.  I made tapes from the set(s),now long gone.   I've never seen them for sale locally. I'd love to listen to them again. 

Great choice.  I have think about some more.

Gregg

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2010, 02:50 am »
Orff - the label is "Schott," not DG. Liner notes say professional musicians were used in the recordings and were conducted by Orff himself. They sound like early stereo recordings. As i said, some of these pieces were on a fairly popular Lp issued maybe in the early 70s by Nonesuch (or on Turnabout, Quintessence or some other budget label of the time) , and then a couple of them were used in the movie "Badlands."
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2010, 08:31 pm by Randy »