Modded SB3 vs Touch

zzvelik

Modded SB3 vs Touch
« on: 9 Dec 2009, 06:33 pm »
Hi Wayne et al,

I have a digitally modded SB3 by Bolder Cable along with the Elpac Power Supply.  I recently heard about the new Squeezebox Touch which supports sampling rates up to 24 bit / 96 kHz and thought to move up to that device.  I don't have any 24/96 audio content at the moment and was wondering if I should get a new SB Touch is really worth it considering that I already own a modded SB3.  Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Z

Wayne1

Re: Modded SB3 vs Touch
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2009, 06:52 pm »
z,

That is a very good question.

The answer for right now is: I don't know.

The Touch has not been officially released at this time. The best guess for being able to purchase one is late December/early January.

I have not seen one or heard one. I cannot say one way or another if a stock or modded Touch will sound better than a modded SB3.

There have been some reports from the beta testers that the sound from the digital output is "better" than that of the stock SB3. No one that I am aware of has compared it to a modded SB3.

Aside from the 24/96 features, the Touch will not be using the noisy display like the SB2/3 Transporter. It will have more memory built it, a faster processor and a completely different DAC chip. You will be able to plug a USB drive directly into it and be able to use it without having a computer on.

There are lots of reasons why one might want a Touch. I just cannot say anything about sound quality at this time.

I will probably have one sent to me when they do become available. I am pretty sure the Denver Audio Mafia will get together and listen and compare the Touch to some modded players.

I will take my time looking it over and decide what may be able to be modded. It will probably be about a month after the release that any mods might be available.

zzvelik

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2009, 01:46 pm »
Thanks for the informative reply Wayne.  I hadn't realized that the new Touch is yet to be released.  I look forward to the Denver Audio Mafia's review when it's released.

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2009, 02:38 pm »

stlblue

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2009, 02:12 am »
You will be able to plug a USB drive directly into it and be able to use it without having a computer on.

Does this mean you will be able to directly connect an external hard drive up to it, through USB? If so, that would be AWESOME, but is there a chance that it would degrade the sound?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2009, 02:36 am »
Part one, "Yes".
Part two, "No".

I want one too.  aa :thumb:

lcrim

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2009, 02:53 am »
Bob:
Except for solid state, hard drives are noisy both mechanically and electrically.  The USB input on the Touch was apparently designed to be used with a USB memory stick.  It turns out that it can be recoded to work in both directions.
One of the advantages of the SqueezeBox devices is that you can put the noisy storage drives remote from the listening environment.

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2009, 04:36 pm »
Larry is correct.

Depending on what kind of HD is used, the power is either pulled from the USB line or requires an external power supply. Most external supplies are switching supplies which generate noise into the AC line and pollute the DC lines. This could lead to more noise going into the Touch. We do not know for certain what type of voltage regulation is used internally in the Touch. Powering an external hard drive from the USB port may stress the regulator.

Using the Touch while not running off a server is possible. It contains a smaller version of SqueezeboxServer built into it. This will slow down operation of the system somewhat as the Touch does not have the processing power of an external computer.

I think the "best" way to run the Touch would be to use it as the current units are used. Run a server with hard drives connected to it. Run Ethernet hard wired to the Touch from a router connected to the server.

There have been reports from the beta testers that using native 24/96 material wirelessly will have drop-outs. Running hard wired cures the problem. It seems that some wi-fi networks are not up to streaming that much data without trouble.

Some of these concerns may not come about. Until the Touch is released to the mass market, we do not know for certain. I have just mentioned some "possible" problems with certain scenarios.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2009, 04:45 pm »
Or you could just replace the external HDD's walwart "switcher" with a linear unit.
Not sure where a guy could find one of those......hmmmmm......if only somebody around here built one.  aa

Bob  :wink:

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:50 pm »
Or you could just replace the external HDD's walwart "switcher" with a linear unit.
Not sure where a guy could find one of those......hmmmmm......if only somebody around here built one.  aa

Bob  :wink:

Yes Bob, I could build a linear for the external hard drive. I can build a linear for your router's power supply. I believe there have been a few posts attesting to an improvement in sound quality after changing from a switcher to a linear on a router.

I already build linear power supplies for Mac Mini's. I could also build them for PC laptops. All of which will improve the sound of your system to some degree or another. What you would have to determine is if it would be worth the roughly $500.00 per power supply for the improvement.

Now that you are working for a Volvo dealership, I "know" you are rolling in the bucks and this would be no problem for you.  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2009, 06:58 pm »
 :lol: Yea, the dealer I work for also sells and services Saab.
I'm sure you've seen the news.  :roll:
I'm doing my best to recover from eight months of lay off. I won't be buying $500 power supplies anytime soon.

Bob

stlblue

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2009, 08:42 pm »
Well, since you should backup your music on another drive anyway, seems you can have the best of both worlds. Plug a drive into the Touch when just "chillin," or run downstairs and turn on the PC for "hardcore" listening. Glad to hear it will work both ways. :thumb:

JEaton

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2009, 12:20 am »
The USB input on the Touch was apparently designed to be used with a USB memory stick.

Where did you pick that up?  It's fully intended to be used with hard drives, including bus powered 2.5" and smaller drives.