5AR4 rectifier tube recommendations.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
5AR4 rectifier tube recommendations.
« on: 7 Dec 2009, 01:30 pm »
I need recommendations for a really good 5AR4 tube for our soon to be released Ultravalve vacuum tube amplifier.

I need new production tubes, with reliable availability, excellent quality and durability, and high output voltage.  NOS tubes won't work and I would like to stay away from very high priced so called "audiophile" grade tubes as that would raise the amplifier price.

Any suggestions as to brand and vendor will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: 5AR4 rectifier tube recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2009, 01:35 pm »
I had bad luck with JJ/Tesla 5AR4's and good luck so far with Ruby. Sovtek might be worth looking into.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2009, 01:52 pm »
I haven't read much about the Ruby, but I've read multiple reports about problems with the JJ and good reliability with the Sovtek.   I think you are right to stay away from the NOS and let the customer roll in his own if he chooses.

hotroady

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2009, 04:03 pm »
Although my preference is still NOS Mullard, I find the Sovtek to be a reliable performer.

bregez

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2009, 06:30 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong, I think new production choices are limited to Sovtek, JJ, and some Chinese tubes (sino?).

With that said, I have been running a Sovtek in my ST-70 clone (diytube driver board, triode electronics transformers, EH EL34 tubes) for over a year with no problems.

I do keep a spare tube on hand just in case. 

Syrah

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2009, 10:37 pm »
There's Emission Labs, which are sublime in my system.  But I fear that falls squarely within the audiophile camp that Frank would like to avoid because of the cost increase.

nodiak

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2009, 01:28 am »
i found the Sovtek to be clearer, more neutral. I felt the JJ added "warmth". I used both per mood in a Scott 222c. Frank, I've had your Omega III pre and amp (yes I regret selling them) and imo believe the Sovtek is more "AVA". Agree with JoshK the customer will roll their own if they want.
Don

LostInPA

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2009, 02:24 am »
The Niteshade amp that I have uses a pair of 5AR4's in parallel.   One of the original JJ/Tesla went bad early on.   One of the Sovtek that I used next developed a short after nine months of use.   FYI, the amp is in use 10-14 hours per day, 6-7 days a week.   I just put in a pair of Shuguang brand.   The big surprise is that this change produced a greater improvement in the sound than was effected by any rolling of driver or output tubes, there seems to be a slight increase in power output, and the amplifier runs generally a bit cooler.   Unit price was $11.95 each.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2009, 04:10 am »
I've had a JJ go bad after a couple months and a Sovtek go after a year or so. The price of Mullards and Sylvanias is coming down on ebay, you can get a good NOS/OS rectifier for under $50 if you shop around. Seems like a good investment, my gear is on for at least a couple hours a day, sometimes all day.

dangerbird

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2009, 04:32 am »
I have the Sovtek's and Shuguang's in different amps,, both have served me well for over a year.

enjoythemusic

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2009, 05:29 pm »
Frank, add another vote for the Sovtek.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2009, 07:15 pm »
One more vote for the Sovtek.  I run Sylvania fat bottles in my old Knight KB-85 amps, but find that the Sovteks aren't far off the mark and a heck of a lot cheaper.  They are my back up tubes.

Thebiker

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:06 pm »
I ran the Sovtek in my old Scott 222C with great results.
Just sounded clean.

chrisby

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2009, 03:12 am »
Frankly I haven't been able to hear a huge advantage between the JJ and Sovteks in either my Wright Mono7 (300B), DIY EL84 or  Vaughn Audio custom EL34 SET. 

Has anyone played with the TAD GZ34s about which I've heard some good things?   It's soon to be time acquire a new pair of EL34s/6CA7 for the Vaughn amp, and perhaps a new rectifier at the same time.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2009, 02:11 pm »
PM Sent.