Grinding Your Own Burgers

PeteG

Grinding Your Own Burgers
« on: 6 Dec 2009, 01:23 am »
I picked up a nice grinder on black Friday and today made some very good beef burgers using beef chuck (on sale) and bacon. I mixed it 80/20, fat content was 50/50 beef fat and bacon fat.

The hamburgers came out great, nice and moist very tasty and flavorful. I will definitely be do this again.
Anybody else using a meat grinder. 

acwd1950

Re: Grinding Your Own Burgers
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2009, 03:46 am »
I use mine to grind sausage when we cut up a pig. Does yours have the attachment for making sausage links and Italian sausages?

Steve

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2009, 07:18 am »
My folks have one very similar to yours.  They figure they've ground several hundred pounds of meat with it, plus my mom grinds potatoes to make potato dumplings with it.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2009, 12:59 pm »
The Mrs. and I have talked about doing it for months.  She gets totally freaked out by those cartilage bits in the ground beef.  We thought it'd make sense to buy a huge loin at Costco and freeze it in 1/2 pound ground packs.  Better meat, control of fat content, no tough bits and it wouldn't be much more expensive in bulk!  Maybe I should put a grinder on my christmas wish list.

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2009, 02:29 pm »
I use mine to grind sausage when we cut up a pig. Does yours have the attachment for making sausage links and Italian sausages?

Steve

Yes, I have all the attachments for sausage and I will be making some Italian links soon :thumb:.

The Mrs. and I have talked about doing it for months.  She gets totally freaked out by those cartilage bits in the ground beef.  We thought it'd make sense to buy a huge loin at Costco and freeze it in 1/2 pound ground packs.  Better meat, control of fat content, no tough bits and it wouldn't be much more expensive in bulk!  Maybe I should put a grinder on my christmas wish list.

I got tired of almost chipping a tooth every time I ate hamburger. The cost came out to $2.05lb for
some of the best meat I've ever had. Go for it you won't be sorry.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2009, 08:35 pm »
If one is serious the only way to fly. Try using belly fat [ 20%] and trimmed topround. Cut every piece of grizzle and hard fat away.
   My grandfather and Dad both were buthchers. If ya'all want IMO the best burger try using hanger steaks or Brisket. Check it out men.
   Makesure your meat is room temp before cooking. Try not salting until AFTER cooking and resting time. Steam those buns and make homemade ketchup and potato chips. Oh my!!

charles

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2009, 08:40 pm »
I have an attachment for my mixer that also does grinding and I have another attachment for filling of sausages.  I've done my own grinding for sausage patties and hamburgers.  I'm interested in any suggested meats, seasonings, and fats. 

Brisket makes a good burger?  I'll have to try that.

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2009, 08:56 pm »
I am considering this too, but need to find a good source of Kosher Bison.  Can no longer seem to get it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:38 pm »
I have an attachment for my mixer that also does grinding and I have another attachment for filling of sausages.  I've done my own grinding for sausage patties and hamburgers.  I'm interested in any suggested meats, seasonings, and fats. 

Brisket makes a good burger?  I'll have to try that.

Probably the best burger you can have. I trim all the hard fat off save the soft fat and grind all together. Sear on one side for 3 minutes turn and finish cooking . Let sit for 5-10 minutes and dig in. The juices will go back into the meat when sitting [ cover with foil] I dislike when the juices run out into the bun and make it soggy.. Give it a try. If one does not have a grinder then ask your butcher to grind it for you. ENJOY!

charles

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2010, 07:31 pm »
In addition to a qualitative improvement, there is a big safety advantage to grinding one's own.  Of course, it is only significant if, like me, you prefer your burgers medium or rarer.  I've got the grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer, but it is worth pointing out that one can also use a food processor to "grind" meat.

Paul
www.wildburroaudio.com

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2010, 08:13 pm »
By the way, if you're into grinding other items, this is the best breakfast sausage I've ever had:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/breakfast-sausage-recipe/index.html

This is an excellent burger made in the food processor:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/burger-of-the-gods-recipe/index.html

aramesh

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2010, 12:34 am »
PeteG,
Grinder looks good, what brand is it?

PeteG

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:22 am »
By the way, if you're into grinding other items, this is the best breakfast sausage I've ever had:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/breakfast-sausage-recipe/index.html

This is an excellent burger made in the food processor:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/burger-of-the-gods-recipe/index.html

I will try Mr.Brown's sausage :drool:

PeteG,
Grinder looks good, what brand is it?

Got it at Gander MTN (their brand) on black Friday.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2010, 06:15 pm »
I've got one of those old fashion hand crank grinders that clamps to the countertop. Kinda of a pain to use, but it does it's job well enough to make burgers with. The last time I ground some beef, I fed in some pork sausage while cranking.
The mix of beef and pork sausage is highly recommended!  :drool:

Bob

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:49 pm »
Anyone try using Brisket yet ? really men check it out, you will very happy you did.

charles

PeteG

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2010, 02:29 am »
Anyone try using Brisket yet ? really men check it out, you will very happy you did.

charles

Not yet, waiting to find some on sale.

legalchef

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2010, 07:35 am »
One thing to remember is that once you grind meat, you destroy the composition, so you are only left with fat content.  If you think that a burger made with ground tenderloin is going to be better than one made with ground chuck, you are wrong.  Tenderloin has a high amount of saturated fat, giving it the impression that it is lean, when it really isn't.  I use a Kitchenaid mixer with a grinder attachment and I trim all the silver skin and fat off, then I add the amount of fat for a particular dish.  Taco meat can be made very lean, while burgers should have a 80/20 mix.  Don't spend your paycheck on high end meats if you are going to grind it.  Get a chuck roast and trim to your liking. It's all about experimentation and finding the right mix.  I personally prefer to grind it once and refrain from working the patty too much.  Also, when you are cooking the burger, it is important to know your fire.  Remember that restaurants have grills that operate at a much higher temperature than the average home grill or broiler.  Get the grill super hot and get a good char on the meat before moving it or flipping it.  Write down the process you use, so that you can adjust it next time.  If your burger is too dry, add more fat the next time.  If your burger is too well done before it gets a good char, crank up the heat or add mesquite chips to get more heat.  It's all about personal preference and only you will know what you like or don't like.  Don't rely on t.v. chefs to tell you what to do.  Most of them have been on t.v. longer than they have been in the kitchen and they have a good staff of REAL chefs who make them look good.

Happy cooking!

djbnh

« Reply #17 on: 11 Mar 2010, 11:48 am »
Get a chuck roast and trim to your liking.
X2. I just grab one or two when chuck goes on sale.

PhilNYC

« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2010, 12:09 pm »
One thing to remember is that once you grind meat, you destroy the composition, so you are only left with fat content.  If you think that a burger made with ground tenderloin is going to be better than one made with ground chuck, you are wrong.

I get a good chuckle when I hear about people going to restaurants and ordering a "kobe burger" for $40+...

ctviggen

« Reply #19 on: 11 Mar 2010, 12:12 pm »
Don't rely on t.v. chefs to tell you what to do.  Most of them have been on t.v. longer than they have been in the kitchen and they have a good staff of REAL chefs who make them look good.

Happy cooking!

I have to say you're wrong if you're discussing Alton Brown and Good Eats.  Every recipe save one I've made of his has been great, and I've made a lot of them.  His burger recipe, for instance, is great.