Antique Sound Labs upgrade/modifications

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 15 Jan 2004, 08:24 pm »
Lately we, Response Audio, have been receiving a lot of inquiries to modify various Antique Sound Labs (ASL) tube amplifiers.
  I have decided to procede with putting together modifications for a few models which will start with the following initially:

MG-SI15
  AQ-1005
  AQ-1003
  Tulip
  AV-20 (thinking about small power supply enhancements for this one)

I realize, as well as do current owners of these products, that the ASL gear is an exceptional value as is. Like our other mod upgrades, we are only going after further enhancing the hidden potential within.

I will post further details once I have settled on final upgrades and receive feedback from those who are sending us their pieces to work on.

Bosh

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2004, 05:13 am »
Cool.  :D  Keep us posted.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2004, 02:59 pm »
Well, it looks like the first to be done will be an AQ1005 SET 300B based unit as there is one on the way.
  The next one (on the way) will be the MG-SI15-DT 5 watt SET/15 watt SEP using KT88s.
  After looking over the schematics for these two pieces, it appears the ASL gear will be ustilizing many similar upgrades as are found in our Special Edition Jolida pieces.
  If anyone has one of the ASL units and is willing to use it as a beta piece, I will be offering discounted prices. In all honesty, your unit will be experimental. If it is part of your primary system, you may not want to be without as the 'beta' pieces will not be quick turnarounds.
  I will be ordering new pieces of the further amps in the line-up after finishing up with the ones on the way.

Bosh

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2004, 06:22 pm »
I have an MGSI-15 integrated, and by your post it seems that some other couragous type has stepped up for the Beta run on that unit :) .  Will you be replacing the inputs on the ASL gear?  That's certainly one area that could be improved upon.  The flimsy, mostly plastic mode switcher in my unit has already been swapped out for a nice, heavy gold one made in Switzerland (forget the name) by an audio engineer friend of mine. He used solid core, silver plated OFC from that to the inputs, replacing what looked like pretty random wire.  I mention the switcher as that's another stock ASL part looking for a good trash bin.

The caps used as stock, I think, are pretty good (Musicaps or something like that?) for the money, but I'd like to hear your opinion there. On the solderless front, I also took off the stock rubber feet and fixed heavy brass cones in a triangle arrangement, and affixed a 3M damping sheet over the interior of the bottom plate.  These two simple tweaks had a fairly obvious (and positive) effect IMMHO.  

Love to see your list of proposed mods for the MGSI once you get it sorted out.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2004, 06:44 pm »
For the MG-SI15, here is a short basic list of what I will be doing. As far as the caps, I don't think they are using MusiCaps? Maybe something in the newer amps. The list below is a generic path I plan on taking with most pieces: There will obviously be a few changes based on the circuitry and and type of amp.

Signal path resistors with Dale/Vishay Metal Film, Coupling capacitors (with Auricaps), Diodes, volume control, source selector, internal wiring, emitter resistors in the PS, bypassing PS filter caps, RCA input jacks, Bybee Purifiers, etc.
  There will also be a few additional options that will depend on the units.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2004, 11:06 pm »
Well, looks as if the ASL modification ventures are a go. Considering there are already several people that have notified me that their amps are already in transit to me, no turning back now.

I have listed a basic list of upgrades that will be performed on these products. I cannot post actual mods for each product as there are too many variations out there but the general design is still the same, just some different values from one version to the next.

That said, all ASL upgrades will be performed on a custom basis with pricing being maintained throughout each model.

ALSO....... Keep an eye out for some custom 40 watt, EL34 mono blocs that may be release by Response Audio in the forthcoming weeks. That's all I can say at this time. I hope to release them for under a grand$$.

One last note.... Response Audio is becoming an authorized ASL dealer!! Not only will we offer any of the ASL line but I will also be offering brand new upgraded units as well. I will need some time to get a feel for what might be popular and in demand but considering starting out with the MG-SI15, AQ1005 SET 300B, and the Tulip. I like the AV-20 monos but wondering what can be done to these amps while still keeping them at a rediculously low price.

Any feedback from the Circle crew is always appreciated.