4 ohm ratings??

silverr1

4 ohm ratings??
« on: 15 Jan 2004, 04:06 am »
Just registered to the forum and I'm really interested in the FET Amps. I looking at replacing my Krell KAV-250a for something a little more Maggie friendly. To me the amp is a little bright and grainy. I'm looking for something smoother but with plenty of ass to push the maggies. I'm currently looking at the 550exr but have not found anything giving what this amp puts out at 4 ohms. Just trying to do a comparison with the 4 ohm rating of my Krell. If you could please also give me the rating of the 350exr also. Maybe I'll might try a pair of those for a biamp setup. Anyways thanks for the info and if any other Maggie owners out there are using the AVA amps please chime in and let me know what you think of the combo.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
4 ohm ratings??
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2004, 05:11 am »
I had this same question a while back since I'm running full range 4ohm speakers w/the VMPS RM40's.  Frank told me they double down in to 4 ohms.  So, 500 watts per channel in to 4ohms is what the Maggies would see.  I think the 550ex also doubles down again in to 2 ohms, but I'm not as certain about that.

avahifi

4 ohm ratings??
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2004, 08:54 pm »
Power into very low impedance loads is limited essentially by the output speaker fuses.  If you fuse heavy enough to pass very high power into low impedance loads, there will be no speaker protection at all, and then you will be able to do the audiophlake thing, get to buy new drivers at a couple hundred dollars each to protect your 50 cent output fuses.  200 watts continious into 8 ohms takes a 5 amp fuse and that is enough to fry most any speaker voice coil.  To contemplate more carefully what 200 watts really is, take two 100 watt light bulbs and turn them on in a small metal box.  After about 10 minutes come back and place your hands firmly on the metal box.  While you are getting your third degree burns treated, think about that much heat running thru the tiny voice coil wires in your speakers.  Now you have a good understanding of 200 watts.

Frank Van Alstine