Anyone tried the HK DPR 1001?

JoshK

« on: 14 Jan 2004, 05:08 pm »
There has been considerable buzz about some of the latest digital receivers lately, such as the Panasonics and Sonys.  I, for one, however need preamp outs until I move into a new pad and split my systems.  AFAIK, neither the panny's nor the sony's offer this.  

I happened to come upon HK's new digital receiver offering, the DPR 1001. It provides 7.1 preamp outs.  It is based on PWM tech.  I also like having logic 7 as an alternative to DPL II.  I read a few customer comments from people who are typical mass market consumers but has anyone here heard this receiver in action?  Might be an interesting alternative to the Pan/Sony bridgade.

OBF

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2004, 06:54 pm »
A friend of mine picked one up hoping it would have more output than the Sony's and sound as good.  At first it sounded terrible and he was quite dissapointed, but after breakin it got WAY better.  We didn't have both to compare, but from memory I liked the Sony better, but I'm not sure if he did.  And the HK really doesn't play any louder and used to make popping/clicking noises at higher volume (in the 80s dbs), but that mostly went away with breakin.

The 1001 does have a lot of nice features too, like a seperate remote so you can use 2 channels for a different zone if you're only 5.1 and not 7.1.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2004, 09:44 pm »
Looks pretty nice, but I wonder if 50 watts X 7 would get the job done?  Cool looking unit, though.

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2004, 12:40 am »
Josh:
The Sony STR-DA3000ES receiver has preamp outputs.  Check out the Crutchfield site at the url below:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4Vey4glRBVl/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=10420&id=morephotos&pi=2&i=158STRDA3K&display=XL#morephotos

Larry

Lupo

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2004, 02:44 pm »
I picked up the HK DPR 1001 to use strictly as a pre-amp. I’m using a Spectron Musician II as my main amp, Norh Le Amps for center and surrounds and a VMPS larger sub on a bridged Crown K2. My source is a Sony DVPNC555ES DVD/SACD 5-disk changer.

I can’t tell you anything about the HK’s built-in amps. However, I can tell you that feature-wise, the HK puts to shame processors costing a lot more (the HK can be had for $499 at onecall.com). As noted, it has 7.1 preamp outs but what I love about it is the triple xover. It lets you individually set up the xover for each input (or globally) and gives you the choice of a different xover freq for front/rear/center. With a “small” setting anything below the xover point (for each speaker group) is sent to the sub-out. With “large” fronts, you have the choice of also sending the signals below the xover point to the sub (or not), in addition to the LFE.

Speaker levels can be set separately, not only for each input but also for each mode in each input (stereo, Dolby Digital/ProLogic II Movies, Pro logic II Music and so on) so depending on the modes you use, you can spend a lot of time calibrating speakers.

As far as the 7.1 direct inputs, you can still use the triple xover (many pre/pros don’t xover when using the direct input) or you can set the fronts to large and achieve complete analog bypass (signal sent to volume control directly) according to HK. Because of the VMPS larger, I was looking into getting an active xover before I ran into the HK. I don’t claim that HK’s built-in xover is of Marchand caliber, I don’t even know what order it is (no info from HK) but for $499…by the way, I noticed a big difference crossing the VMPS larger at 80 Hz vs. 100 Hz (80 Hz being the clear winner by far).

In the past I found HK gear to be rather “glitchy” and unreliable but this unit comes with a 2 yr part/2 yr labor warranty-not bad at all.

Now to the sound. I was most impressed with the Dolby Pro Logic II processing for digital and regular cable-truly superb. I also compared the HK’s DAC vs. the Sony’s via 5.1 direct input (level matched with Radio Shack SPL meter using A setting) with several Redbook CDs. The HK had significantly more forward midrange than the Sony. I couldn’t decide which one was better, they were just different. I guess it would depend on the kind of music but I ended up listening mostly through the Sony DACs.

For movies, I found the Dolby Digital quality to be even between the HK and Sony DAC. As I mentioned earlier, I was really impressed with Pro logic II and even more impressed with PLII Music mode on digital cable and DVDs. PLII is very good for analog but I found it excellent converting a 2-ch Dolby Digital input to multi-channel.

At some point and after the HK is broken-in I will try to A/B this setup with a good 2-ch preamp to compare overall sound in 2-ch but given the features and convenience of this unit as a pre/pro and the current pricing, this one’s a keeper.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2004, 04:02 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Lupo!  Which model Sony was it that you are comparing to?

Lupo

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2004, 06:59 pm »
Josh, I was comparing Redbook audio quality between using the Sony DVPNC555ES DVD/SACD 5-disk changer as a transport via optical out to the HK vs. using the Sony's on-board DAC with 6-ch direct out to the HK.