Amp cutout for GR Subs

chip

Amp cutout for GR Subs
« on: 2 Dec 2009, 05:31 pm »
We moved recently so I don't have my big HT room. I used to just have my amp sitting on the ground in the rack closet. Well that isn't going to work in the living room so either I make the cutout on one of the subs for the amp or another option is to build a box in similiar size and put the amp on top of the sub. Which option would you go with? If I need to do the cutout what type of tool would work best for that? Not a tool man so that is why I ask. My amp is similar to the Rhythmik Audio A300.

Danny Richie

Re: Amp cutout for GR Subs
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2009, 07:48 pm »
I typically mount them in the box opposite the woofer.

I cut the hole after the box is made by plunging a skill saw straight into pre drawn lines. I do this on the four sides but do not run the saw all the way to the corners. This cuts nice straight lines.

I then finish out the corner cuts with a jig saw.

chip

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:49 pm »
My subs are based off of those 18" cubed boxes so putting the amp in one of the subs won't affect the volume of the box?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:55 pm »
It won't effect it by much. You can alter the volume more with more or less damping material. Keep in mind that you will be removing a pretty good chunk of MDF too. So you get that much back.

chip

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2009, 10:06 pm »
Is there a template for my amp?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2009, 10:15 pm »
No, just measure the inside edges of the foam gasket on the back of the amp and cut the rectangle to size. Don't worry, it is easier than it looks.

chip

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2010, 03:36 pm »
I made the cut on Monday and slapped it in one of the subs. Thanks for your help on a few of those questions I had Danny!