Am I crazy or will this work about the same as other room treatment products?

DigitallyChallenged

After getting the idea from a post here I decided to get some rolls of insulation to see what they would do to room acoustics. I bought Mansville R-30 insulation rolls. They are about 25 inches wide by 20 tall rolled tightly and wrapped in plastic. I bought 12, the limit of my SUV hauling room, and stacked them in the front corners almost to the ceiling and in one of the back corners. My room is an odd shape so I don't have 4 corners. There is a resonant "cavity" cause by a window dormer cut into the side of the room that I haven't touched yet.

I measured the results with XTZ and my decay times have improved significantly in the mid-bass and upper freq. but I still have some serious energy below 20Hz.

My question is whether commercially available bass traps would offer significantly better performance or only a marginal improvement. I am using 4x the thickness of the commercial traps in insulation. Aesthetics are not a big concern, I will drape these in black cloth.

Is there a commercial product that will fix the sub 20Hz issue or should I just get more of these and treat the rest of the room? These only cost $9.50 a roll at Lowes. They cut the price by more than half recently.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
If you don't care about the looks, they'll work just fine. 

20Hz is going to be almost impossible to deal with. The wavelengths are just too long.  About the only way to do it is to build sealed resonant panel absorbers but even they will not be terribly efficient due to the mass required on the front panel.

Also, anything tuned that low usually has it's own issues in presenting harmonics back into the room.

Bryan

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
I really wouldn't worry, there is very little musical information at 20hz.

DigitallyChallenged

I really wouldn't worry, there is very little musical information at 20hz.

This is a home theater only system With my Genelec 7073a sub in a small room there is a lot of sub 20Hz signal.

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
Without knowing more details on your room and positioning of speakers and listeners its hard to provide conclusive advice. Among the things that may make an impact are: moving the sub and lcrs away from room boundaries, using a low frequency shelving filter or moving the listening positions.

Zaluss

I'm curious about this as well. Looks like an excellent cheap alternative and with a little creativity it could look great. I'm going to call my local lowes right now...