Wi-Fi Magic

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
Wi-Fi Magic
« on: 30 Nov 2009, 11:48 pm »
Recently in a thread on the Modwright Circle http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66894.0 it was discused the virtues of wired vs. wireless for SlimDevices SB3 (SB2, Transporter or Duet) and many users prefer wired. One reason being with a wired connection the wireless receiver in the boxes is OFF and therefor not adding noise to the power supply and/or creating additional RF/EMI inside the box. However, some users must use wireless due to the location of their computer or they prefer to be wireless so that their SB3 will not be physically connected to a noise inducing computer. One solution suggested was to purchase wireless network bridge (here's a nice one http://www.shoplinksys.com/Wireless-N-Ethernet-Bridge-with-Dual-Band-WET610N-Routers_stcVVproductId65221232VVcatId543860VVviewprod.htm) that will receive the wireless information from the computer and then pass it to the SB3 via ethernet cable. This could give perhaps the least compromise with the wireless receiver now out of the SB3 and the only power supply noise now generated by the bridge (not an entire computer with multiple boards, a display and periferrals attached). This sounded like something I might like to try so I ordered a bridge and no, it's not here yet--which leads to the reason for this topic:

While waiting I wondered what effect improving the power supply of my existing wireless router might have. Surely none as it is only passing file data. It is not passing digital music per se with the timing (clock) errors, etc that might be altered. This conversion is all done inside the SB3. The files are simlpy data (WAV, FLAC, et al.) passed quite accurately via Wi-Fi. It can't make a difference--ask any computer engineer. Well it does in my system. First, I tried an inexpensive 5VDC linear supply and yes there was a slight improvement in detail, soundstaging and solidity--no big deal, but since it was only a $20 power supply, it still might be worth doing on a $100 router. I could live with or without it. Now a more expensive, higher quality supply might be a bit better, but diminishing returns applies if its not a major improvement. So just for grins I threw on one of my battery power supplies to see how far this could go. Well as you may have guessed, big improvement. The noise floor of recordings dropped allowing more low level information to come through improving all aspects of soundstaging (depth, width, the spacing between instruments/performers, distance from the microphones, etc....) new details emmerged and absolutely everything sounds more like the real thing. It is easier to hear microphone noise, tape noise and all kinds of heretofor unnoticed squeeks. The sound is more relaxed and easier to listen to. Now, to get to the real question---why, why, why--somebody tell me why.   :dunno: In case you are wondering, I did take my medication today.  :wink: Let's hear from the speculators.
Chris H.
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2009, 05:15 am by BPT »

TomS

Re: Wi-Fi Magic
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:11 am »
While we're in confession mode for things that don't possibly make sense  :dunno: ...

After reading that thread some time ago myself I decided to punch down hardwired ethernet to my Linux server and Transporter, and then I installed a wired D-Link gigabit switch between them, all alone on a separate wired subnet from the FIOS router.  What could it possibly hurt to be faster, not snatching all the bits from the air, turning off that surely noisy wireless module?  All I can say that makes sense is my system sounds really good (in absolute terms) and is very pleasant to listen to, at least for the modest investment I have in it.  My small impressionable brain, knowing all the work it was to pull the new wires, punch down, and install/test all those darn tiny connections, seems to think it wasn't as good when it was wireless, though I have no idea why that might be so and I still seriously doubt that is the case. 

Nope, can't 'splain it, no how, no way, but I'm not going to mess with it.  It just sounds right, so wired it will stay.  At the very least, I won't worry about dropouts any more.

I was going to keep it quiet to hide my shame at letting my brain fall for this craziness, and surely avoid a battering at the hands of more rational thinkers, but he started it.  Please throw all the spears in Chris's direction :thumb:

AB

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2009, 04:41 pm »
Doesn't everything benefit from a PSU upgrade?  :thumb: I believe that to be true and I don't see any reason why a radio wouldn't benefit from cleaner, more robust power.

Don't you have a battery PS you could try too?

I am really interested to hear your results with the bridge. Be sure to report back.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2009, 09:25 pm »
AB:
Up and running with excellent results. Check out my post http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66894.new#new.
Chris H.