Heard the HT4 Prototype

chuckb

Heard the HT4 Prototype
« on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:45 pm »
I had the pleasure of meeting crossover guru Dennis Murphy over Thanksgiving, and he provided some much appreciated advice regarding speaker selection.

Dennis also auditioned his Salk Sound HT4 prototypes for me.  These are more than just speakers...they are a primal force of nature, with exquisite range, definition and balance.

Anyone considering speakers in this league should not make a decision until hearing these.  Jim Salk and Dennis have made an extraordinary contribution to sound reproduction with the HT4.

mr_bill

Re: Heard the HT4 Prototype
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:53 pm »
Chuck, did you get to hear the new HT1 TL too?

chuckb

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2009, 12:21 am »
Mr. Bill:

Dennis did not have the HT1TL set up, although the "pair" of SongTowers he demonstrated included one with the standard dome tweeter and a second with the ribbon tweeter option (both, of course, being transmission line designs). 

The pair in stereo were very, very enjoyable with noticably clear and strong bass.  Switching back and forth between them revealed, to me, subtle differences between the dome and ribbon tweeters, enough so that individual listeners should hear both to choose a favorite.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2009, 01:50 am »
I had the pleasure of meeting crossover guru Dennis Murphy over Thanksgiving, and he provided some much appreciated advice regarding speaker selection.

Dennis also auditioned his Salk Sound HT4 prototypes for me.  These are more than just speakers...they are a primal force of nature, with exquisite range, definition and balance.

Anyone considering speakers in this league should not make a decision until hearing these.  Jim Salk and Dennis have made an extraordinary contribution to sound reproduction with the HT4.

Thanks for the feedback, Chuck.  I enjoyed having you over, and am relieved that you didn't call the authorities when you ventured downstairs into my laBORatory.  Poor Chuck didn't get a chance to hear a matched pair of anything.  The left HT4 was a 12"with the Fal midrange, and the right was a 10" with a different midrange that I chose in case the Fal folks couldn't iron out the problem we've been having.  I always enjoy seeing peoples' reaction when the big drum comes in on Track 17 of Jim's HT4 audition CD.  So THAT's what bass sounds like. 

hikinokie

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2009, 06:29 pm »
When are the HT4's going to be available?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2009, 08:01 pm »
When are the HT4's going to be available?

We are currently building the first 10" version of this speaker.  Our plan is to launch the design as soon as it is finished...around the 1st of the year.

- Jim

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2009, 09:22 pm »
Will the FAL be used for the midrange or the new midrange that surpassed expectations?

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2009, 09:28 pm »
Will the FAL be used for the midrange or the new midrange that surpassed expectations?

I have my suspicions, but until we hear them side by side, we won't know for certain.  We will A/B them side by side and select the winner.

- Jim

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2009, 09:41 pm »
I'd like to be there for that!!!!!

W aa

nicksgem10s

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2009, 09:45 pm »
I'd like to be there for that!!!!!

W aa

+1

I only heard the original HT4 at AK Fest last year and was very impressed with this speaker.

Jim & Dennis have designed a very special speaker.

If the new driver improves the design then that will be a must hear!

jhm731

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2009, 06:58 pm »

I have my suspicions, but until we hear them side by side, we won't know for certain.  We will A/B them side by side and select the winner.

- Jim

Any update on the FAL drivers?

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:10 pm »

Any update on the FAL drivers?

We expect to be finished with the new prototype HT4's in the next two weeks.  We will then compare them side-by-side with the old prototypes using the FAL drivers.  As soon as we are able to A/B them, we will be ready to make an announcement.  Dennis finished up the new crossovers so as soon as the cabinets are ready, we'll be set to go with the comparo.

- Jim

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:57 am »
Hi Jim,

Do you mind telling enquiring minds which midrange driver that you are considering using as an alternative to FAL?

Btw I bought a Ampzilla 2000 (300 watts per channel) in anticipation of a future ht3 or ht4 purchase in the coming years.  My only problem at the moment is that right at the moment the amps don't work with 240 voltage and they are in for modification  :duh:.

I have had good luck with Salk speakers and modwright gear and I would certainly purchase from you again. 

Best of luck

Rod

jd3

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2009, 11:02 am »
I was afforded the great pleasure of being able to listen to Jim’s HT4’s on Saturday when I stopped by his house to pick up a Song Center.  When we’d arranged the pick up, Jim asked if I’d like to hear the HT4’s, and I said I’d love to.   When my wife and I arrived, we were welcomed by Jim and Mary, and shortly after Jim led us to his listening room.  As a preface, Jim said one thing about the speakers was they really didn’t stand out in any area, they simply passed on the music without adding anything.  He was right.  My wife, who really didn’t care much for my hifi hobby until I got SongTowers a couple years ago, was blown away by the HT4’s.  So was I.  On the songs that were familiar to us, we heard detail and intricacies which to that point we’d never experienced.   Words can’t really do justice to the experience the HT4’s offer.  It’s as if there are no speakers present, only the music is there.  When our brief listening session ended, I told Jim he was going to sell a lot of them, regardless of the price.  In my 40+ years in this hobby I’ve never experienced a speaker like it. 

As an aside, there must be some kind of ‘mystical power’ they output as well, since on our way from Jim’s my wife said that when we can afford them, we will have to get a pair....I almost lost control of my truck!!!  And I was only 'hoping' to get the ok to upgrade to HT2-TL's someday!

Oh, and I did pick up the SongCenter, (which is beautiful btw Jim!)  Thanks for letting us experience your pride and joy!

John

Brucemck

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:48 pm »

Jim, any update on when the HT4s?

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:55 pm »

We now have a pair of 10" prototypes set up with an alternative midrange.  They sound really good.  But I thought before we pull the trigger, we'd try just one more midrange.  It should have shipped from Denmark today and we hope to have it in hand next week.  Once it arrives, I will send another test cabinet off to Dennis and have him do his thing.  We will then decide which midrange will get the nod and we'll be off to the races.

It has been a long haul, but I just thought that it would be worth waiting just a little longer to make sure there are no better possibilities anywhere.  We will leave no stone unturned on this project.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:15 am »
"Once it arrives, I will send another test cabinet off to Dennis and have him do his thing."

Oh goody.   Another test cabinet.  Does anyone out there need about 1200 board feet of MDF, some disassembly required? 

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:27 am »
If the boys keep this up you'll need one of these:

http://www.ssiworld.com/watch/watch-en.htm

fsimms

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2010, 04:07 pm »
Jim, Thanks for the update.  It looks  like I won't have to worry about ice on the roads when I come visit you this spring to hear the prototypes.

Bob

PS I hope it is spring!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

(W)KRP

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2010, 06:53 pm »
I was going to check this circle just one more time before giving Jim a call for an update, since I didn't have his number handy and needed to check my e-mail for it. I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer ...