Dusty, TVC used with D200's 26 or 32db's gain.

DaveX

Dusty, TVC used with D200's 26 or 32db's gain.
« on: 29 Nov 2009, 04:19 pm »
Hi, I like the sound of the Glasshouse TVC (I believe they use the same transformers as Promitheus) used with the D200's, the TVC adds no gain. My D200's are 26 db and the TVC 24 way volume switch @ # 18 gives me more than enough volume on phono or CD, and this is with a 10 foot interconnect, I will be changing this to one metre soon. My question is will it be better to have the D200's changed to 32db gain, and can this be done by the UK distributer. Thanks.

CIAudio

Re: Dusty, TVC used with D200's 26 or 32db's gain.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2009, 11:06 pm »
There is no need to incease the gain if you can already achieve the maximum volume level desired.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:47 pm »
Yes Dave they are Promitheus trannies tweaked by Glasshouse. Enjoy! As advised stay put with the 26db gain.  BTW those trannies will work fine up to 5 mtrs. I recco shielded ICs though. really no need to change unless you want a different cable. I perfer copper based ICs with the trannies used. Listen to both silver ICs and copper and make your decision based on your taste. Have fun.

charles

DaveX

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2009, 09:12 pm »
Hi, I did email Nick @ hificollective and he did advise me to use a shorter interconect cable, I'm currently using anti-ic's 3 metre.

milpai

• My Dedicated Audio Room
« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2009, 03:30 am »
There is no need to incease the gain if you can already achieve the maximum volume level desired.

CIAudio,
I do not mean to hijack your thread/forum. But I am in a learning phase here. I understand from experienced people that, if you wind up running the TVC with almost no voltage attenuation applied to the output signal from your source components, then it means that the TVC is not allowed to "work its magic" by increasing the current and lowering the output impedance for the signal it sends to your amplifier.  This invites potential problems with frequency response roll-off and/or compression of dynamics.

Dave,
I have started to look at Channel Island D-500 because they mention on their site that this amp has gain of 38dB to be used with TVC/passive preamp. I looked at Wyred For Sound SX-1000, but the sensitivity of the amp is too low at 2.95V (27dB gain) for 500Watts. If I were you, I would certainly look at the 32dB gain, as you would have more headroom work with. I use the volume control on 10-11 on my NAD C352 amp and the sound is in an altogether higher league, from the original integrated version it was use as. Note that I have bypassed the preamp in the integrated.

Honestly, at this point, where I am searching for a good power amp that will take my current sound quality a couple of notches up, I am a bit skeptical about Class D amp. I am kind of confused about the various positive and negative reports I hear. Some people say that the Class D is superb initially, but as the honeymoon period is over you start getting bored. I don't know what to believe and whom to believe. But thanks to your thread - I have at least 1 report of a person listening to any type of TVC with Class D amp. Dave, which amp did you own before the CIA D-200? I am looking at a Parasound A21 as it's sensitivity is very high (1V for rated 250 Watts). But again, I will keep my search on!!

DaveX

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2009, 02:18 pm »
I'm not experiencing any roll-off or compression of dynamics using my TVC, and thats using a 3 metre interconnect, in fact I replaced the TVC with my Audio Research LS3 after a few weeks and it sounded rather forced compared to the TVC, the TVC needs burning-in (100 hrs) and that means each input/output and each individual volume setting. I wish I had purchased mine pre burnt-in, I believe nick has a special way of wiring up the attenuator so it burns-in all the volume settings in one go. I found my volume setting @ # 17/18, so those are being used to burn-in the unit.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2009, 02:19 pm »
 A click or two down from full volume [ unity gain] does the trick. After 500 hours it will stop changing. Have fun.

charles