FS: Custom DIY Tube DAC non-OS - $275

vman71

FS: Custom DIY Tube DAC non-OS - $275
« on: 27 Nov 2009, 07:16 pm »
Custom DIY tube DAC, non-OS using a single 6DJ8 or 6922 tube.  It's an exceptional tube DAC with a very clear, detailed sound blended with tube warmth.  It uses the CS8414 DAC chip, which has low jitter and on-chip clock recovery.  The build is not your average job, with a nice selection of parts, design/layout, and a very cool auto on/off feature.

Parts are better than run-of-the-mill, like the use of Sprague Orange Drop, Dale resistor, silver wiring from the PCB to the RCA outputs.  Design/layout includes many areas where caps are bypassed, tweaks to the digital input and RCA outputs using (I think) caps/resistors, and a stout PC that is internally hardwired in.  The auto on/off feature is very cool and the DAC automatically turns "on" when a source is present and automatically turns "off" when the source is gone; a pretty neat feature and one that is not seen very often.  The case is a black metal case with a front face plate that allows for rack mounting.  Underneath are three rubberized feet in a triangle and provide for excellent horizontal stability and vibration control.

If you're in Northern Viginia, I welcome you to listen to how well it compares against my Exemplar tube DAC and TRL modified Audio Mirror DAC 1 Signature.  Just because it doesn't have a brand name doesn't mean this DAC isn't a killer DAC.  I'm confident that if you heard it against my much more expensive DAC's, you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference.

Price: $275

Picture don't show the cover off, it does come with the matching black cover.

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2009, 05:45 pm by vman71 »

rotarius

Re: FS: Custom DIY Tube DAC non-OS - $275
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2009, 10:05 pm »
Who built it?

vman71

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2009, 12:53 am »
I don't know the actual builder.  I can ask the guy I bought it from.  I bought it from a long time gentleman on Audiogon who used to own an audio store.  He has 385 positive feedback transactions with no negative or neutral transactions.

He had his technicians make sure it was 100% before shipping it to me earlier this June.  Whoever built it was an experienced builder, evidenced by the bypassing of caps and little tweaks like the auto "on/off" feature, parts (caps or resistors) in-line where the RCA outputs are, power supply tweak, etc.

I'm so confident that this DAC will compete with that I would be happy to demo it A/B with my two other DAC's that are almost $2K new.

vman71

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2009, 12:02 pm »
BUMP...Last Call before going over to Audiogon.  I'll consider reasonable offers.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2009, 03:50 pm »
Hi, the CS8414 you mention is the receiver chip, do you have any info on the actual DAC chip used?  Often it's a Philips TDA 1543 is used for NOS DAC's.

vman71

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:44 am »
Okay, a minor correction on the receiver chip, it's a CS8412-CP. 

The DAC chip I believe is (from what I see) a CS4328-KP.

From a data sheet on the internet:

General Description

"The CS4328 is a complete stereo digital-to-analog output system. In addition to the traditional D/A function, the CS4328 includes an 8X digital interpolation filter followed by a 64X oversampled delta-sigma modulator.  The modulator output controls the reference voltage input to an ultra-linear analog low-pass filter. This architecture allows for infinite adjustment of sample rate between 1 kHz and 50 kHz while maintaining linear phase response simply by changing the master clock frequency.

The CS4328 also includes an extremely flexible serial port utilizing two select pins to support four different interface modes.  The master clock can be either 256 or 384 times the input word rate, supporting various audio environments."

Complete Stereo DAC System
8X Interpolation Filter
64X Delta-Sigma DAC
Analog Post Filter
- Adjustable System Sampling Rates
Including 32kHz, 44.1kHz & 48kHz
- 120 dB Signal-to-Noise Ratio
- Low Clock Jitter Sensitivity
- Completely Filtered Line-Level Outputs
Linear Phase Filtering
Zero Phase Error Between Channels
No External Components Needed

vman71

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2009, 12:56 pm »
Off to Audiogon today, last call...

Brettl

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2009, 07:54 pm »
I am interested. Can you send me your phone # and I will contact you. I was sent this link from a friend and I know little about DAC's

Thanks, Brett

vman71

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2009, 12:23 pm »
Hi Brett,

Sent you PM with my number.  You can also email me at:

mvansloten(@)gmail(dot)com

Thanks,
Mike

vman71

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2009, 07:18 pm »
I really don't want to support Audiogon, so I'll drop the price to:

$250  :D

If it doesn't move at this price, I guess I'll support Audiogon.  :cry:

vman71

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:39 pm »
Trying to stay true to my commitment to avoid Audiogon...

Another $20 off - so it's $230.