Hints on WLM Diva Floorstander setup

SteveParsons

Hints on WLM Diva Floorstander setup
« on: 26 Nov 2009, 01:59 pm »
Hi all,

I've recently bought some secondhand WLM Diva floorstanders (powered with sig 70.2's) and are looking to see if anybody has got any setup hints on these (degree of toe-in, distance from walls, etc).

Also, whether anybody has played with the tuning options (tweeter and bass) and any thoughts.  I know its room dependent but I am curious.

I haven't really got a lot of time to spend tuning/moving room position so I'm trying to get a head start.  Room is about 27' x 12' with speakers at one end on the narrow wall.  A 6.5' ceiling.

Cheers,

Steve

Profbratsch

Re: Hints on WLM Diva Floorstander setup
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:46 pm »
Steve,

Congratulations on your acquisition (hmm, I wonder if those were the speakers that audiofankj was listing on the 'Gon)!  You have a pairing that many have chosen on Vinnie's recommendation and I am certain you will get a lot of enjoyment from your components.  IMO If there is any way you can place the speakers by the long wall I think you will be much happier with the result but if that is not an option please ignore the last remark and read on...

I have not heard the pairing myself but I would start by placing the speakers at least three feet from the front wall and, given the dimension of your room, between eighteen and twenty-four inches from the side walls.  I would begin with no toe-in and then bring them in gradually (about 1/4" at a time).  You'll know when you have it right, although with the concentric drivers the setup will not be as finicky as you think.  So far as the treble and bass adjustments are concerned I would say that room acoustics are only part of the equation.  We all have different listening sensitivities and unfortunately some of us (myself included) have at least a partial loss in certain frequencies due to age or exposure to loud noise.  The formula for you will be unique.

If this was too obvious or redundant I apologize in advance.  Have a blessed Thanksgiving and enjoy the music! :violin:   :drums: :guitar:  :banana piano:

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2009, 06:35 pm by Profbratsch »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:30 pm »
Hi all,

I've recently bought some secondhand WLM Diva floorstanders (powered with sig 70.2's) and are looking to see if anybody has got any setup hints on these (degree of toe-in, distance from walls, etc).

Also, whether anybody has played with the tuning options (tweeter and bass) and any thoughts.  I know its room dependent but I am curious.

I haven't really got a lot of time to spend tuning/moving room position so I'm trying to get a head start.  Room is about 27' x 12' with speakers at one end on the narrow wall.  A 6.5' ceiling.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on obtaining the Diva Floorstanders!

Here is what I recommend:

Toe-in: Just like the Stella and La Scalas, I find the Divas sound best when they are toed-in so
the imaginary line from each speaker crosses 1 to 3 feet behind your head.

Height (or "rake angle"): Divas sound best when the driver is approx. ear-level, or even a couple of inches higher than ear level

Spikes: The taller you set the speaker spikes, the more distance between the bottom base port and the floor = more bass.  The shorter you set the spikes, the less distance between the bottom base port and the floor = less bass output, but the bass is tighter and most accurate.  I like to set the distance at around 1 inch. 

Tweeter Control: You can fine tune to your room, equipment (including cables) and taste

Distance from the walls: Try to give pull them out at least 3 feet from the rear wall, and at least 2 feet from the side walls. 

NOTE: This is very room-dependent.  I'm not sure if you have more flexibility to move your speakers, or your listening chair, but as you do this, you are going to find locations that give you peaks in the bass, and nulls in the bass.  So you do need to experiment and find that sweet spot that gives you the best response. 

I would also start out with an equilateral triangle arrangement between your listening position and distance between speakers, and tweak it from there (either by moving your listening chair forwards or backwards, or the speakers forwards and backwards).  You'll get it!  8)

Good luck, and keep us posted!  :thumb:

All the best,

Vinnie

SteveParsons

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2009, 12:28 pm »
All good advice.  Thanks.