Bryston & Turntables

1ZIP

Bryston & Turntables
« on: 25 Nov 2009, 03:24 am »
I'm thinking of adding a turntable to my Bryston system as many of you already have.  I want to keep the cost pretty close to $1000, give or take a couple of hundred. I've narrowed it down to three:

Pro-ject RM 5SE  w/Sumiko Blue Point
Music Hall MMF-5.1SE  W/Goldring GL 2400
Rega P3-24  w/ELYS 2

I know I can go to several forums and seek advice on the relative merits of one brand of TT over another.  But, only this forum can hopefully provide some input on the synergy/merits with respect to performance with all Bryston gear.

Comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stu Pitt

Re: Bryston & Turntables
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2009, 05:15 am »
Rega P3-24 and Dynavector 10x5 cartridge.  If funds allow now, or down the road, add the TT-PSU. 

This coming from a Pro-Ject owner.

2gumby2

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2009, 10:48 am »
I recommend taking a look at what KABUSA has to offer at  www.kabusa.com
I have a KAB modified Technics SL-1200MK2 and I'm very happy with it. Easy to set up and reliable.

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2009, 12:30 am »
More research -

Of the three the Rega & Dynavector combination seems to be the way to go.  Several discussions in several different sites praise the combination.  Have yet to look in depth at the Technics but what I have read is very positive.

So much gear, so little time.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2009, 01:08 am »
I've heard all three decks you mention, and the Rega and Music Hall side by side with the carts you mention.  The Rega is easily the best to my ears.  But I don't like the Elys cart.  And yes, I've heard the 10x5 and Elys on a P3-24.

The P3-24 and 10x5 runs circles around the others.  The others seem slow, dirtier and flabbier.  The P3-24/10x5 sounds leaner, tighter and cleaner.  It may seem a little bass shy, but to my ears its tight and fast, hence the initial shy preception.

The TT PSU improves everything across the board.  It easily brings it up a level.

Music Hall gear turns me off from a design and customer point of view as well.  Pro-Ject is well made and Music Hall should also be, seeing as how they're made in the same factory, but they're not very reliable.  2 dealers I know dropped them because they had a lot of issues and Roy Hall 'may very well be the biggest pain in the ass in the industry' to paraphrase one dealer.  Many others have complained about his lack of support and demeanor.  He's the same guy who wrote a rebuttal to a review with an F-bomb in it to Stereophile.  That's out there for everyone to read, so do you think he's going to be different to a customer?

Music Hall has to have design flaws IMO if there stuff breaks and Pro-Jects don't.  They're made in the same factory.

I've contemplated upgrading my TT to a Rega, but quite truthfully I don't listen to vinyl enough to justify the cost.  I'll probably get a P3-24 a little while after I get a BDA-1.

I auditioned several carts on my 1Xpression and the 10x5 blew them all away.  It wasn't even close.  Goldring, Grado, Linn.  The 10x5 did evrything the others did and then some.  Art Dudly (Stereophile) hit the nail on the head when he said "Wildly, highly recommended."  There are very few blind recommendations in audio.  The 10x5 is definitely one IMO.

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:46 am »
Hi 1ZIP

The P3 is a reasonable way to go, low maintenance, I'm running a P3/2000 with a Sumiko Blue Point II and found the synergy very good with the Bryston phono stage but the 10x5 appears to be the de rigeur. With either cartridge a spacer is advised with the Rega to get the right tracking angle and for alignment I'd recommend the Rega Baerwald alignment protractor v.2
found here.
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:51 am »
And a wall mount would be advisable to keep vibrations to a minimum, I'm using a Target but Rega makes their own.

Robert

Fernar

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2009, 09:12 am »
Rather than buying new, have you considered getting a second hand turn table - I was in the same situation a few months ago (i.e. looking to add a turntable) and after trying Project, Rega, etc - a dealer suggested I try a second hand LP12 - in my view the LP12 was MUCH better than any of the mid-range decks I heard.... also with something like a Linn LP12 there is always the possibility of enhancing the performance further in the future if you so wished..... for $1000 you should be able to get a very reasonable second hand LP12 (reasonable meaning no marks on the turntable, decient arm and cartridge)...

Other alternatives might be a second hand Gyrodec....

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2009, 06:00 pm »
I did a quick check on Audiogon w/r to LP12 & they range from $2600 - $4000.   Retail price was around $7500.00. 

I've ruled out a Music hall.  As Stu stated there is a fair amount of discussion across different forums about the issue of MH's customer service and reliability.  The MM 7.1 is a great looking and apparently sounding TT but with the associated MH issues it's not worth the chance.  I guess I've been spoiled by Bryston!

So, it looks like a P3.  The idea of a wall mount is interesting.  I have a 18" x "20 x' 2.5" block of finished and polished granite I'm going set the TT on, I'll see how that works.  Looks like I'm going to need a sturdy stand!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2009, 12:04 am »
Technics 1210M5G with Audio-Technica AT150MLX cartridge. Great combo at a great price. It does in fact go good with the Bryston phono stage. It's not the ultimate, but it gets you close, imo.  8)

1ZIP

« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2009, 12:18 am »
I've also been looking at having my TD 160 restored.  There is a fellow over on Audiogon that restores/upgrades 160's & they look fantastic.  And for performance he uses a P 3 as reference, apparently the restored 160 is equal if not better.  The restored 160 comes with a Grado Prestige Gold I.  However, Stereophile was not very complementary of the Grado Gold.

I guess I'm taking this thread further and further from Bryston.  Maybe I should shift it over to the Vinyl Forum,  but you folks have so much good info!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2009, 12:25 am »
Grado carts are known to hum like crazy.