Review of Emerald Physics/Spatial Audio Orpheus

cloudbaseracer

Review of Emerald Physics/Spatial Audio Orpheus
« on: 24 Nov 2009, 04:58 pm »
Hello Guys,

When will you be reviewing this system?  It looks interesting though expensive.

Thanks,

James

dibber

Re: Review of Emerald Physics/Spatial Audio Orpheus
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2010, 09:00 pm »
Just ordered the system ... and will post the complete review soon.

By way of background, since the late 1970s, I have spent ridiculous sums of money in a futile effort to recreate music exactly to the original recordings.  I've always focused on analog.  I love the sound of analog ... zyx cartridges, SET amps, horn speakers, reel-to-reel ... you name it.  I loath digital sounding music.  Actually "loath" is an understatement.  I can't even listen to a car stereo for more than 15 minutes without suffering severe fatigue.  Friends think I'm a bit nuts for always telling them to turn down the radio.

So why on earth would I invest in a highly manipulated digital system like the orpheus/emerald physcis CS2.3?  Here's why.  I believe this system is better at replicating the original recording than any system on the market at any price right now.  It, for the first time, allows lovers of analog an even superior experience to what they can enjoy with a $100,000 plus state-of-the-art analog system. 

I get that I just made a ridiculously bold statement.  But I believe it to be true.  Virtually all high quality original recordings made in the last 5 years or so are digital and reside on a hard drive in the data libraries of the studios and are saved in 24 bit files.  This is to say that 24 bit .wav digital audio files are the modern master recordings.  The time of analog reel tapes is long gone.  24 bit digital files are generally what is used for the subsequent vinyl pressings that all of us audiophiles are told are master/original records.  So, if your goal is to be as close as possible to the original recording, then you have to play 24 bit .wav files.  Period.  If all you fellow analogers don't believe me on this point, just go out and listen to original analog files in a modern recording studio and then compare that to the vinyl pressing on your system at home.  There is absolutely no comparison.

Here's the bottom line that sold me on this system.  This orpheus/CS2.3 system is the best system on the market for playing 24 bit .wav files.  It is, more-or-less, what is used (hardware wise) in modern recording studios for music playback.  On top of that, it uses quite sophisticated software to eliminate room distortion, allowing for musical presentation very similar to that in the sound-proofed recording studio even if your room is big and/or odd shaped without sound dampening.  If that offends the purist in you ... you'll be relieved to know that I was a non-believer too.  But here's the thing.  When you set aside the analog religion and really listen a top-quality digital 24 bit system with your ears and eyes closed, you too will have the revelation.  It is simply superior to the best analog systems.  It shouldn't be, from the purist point of view.  But it is.

This system also has other huge improvements over traditional analog or digital systems.  Since the system and files are all computerized, no more flipping records or CDs.  No more cleaning cartridges.  No more replacing tubes.  This is quality equipment that won't fall apart ... unlike so much of the mom-and-pop audio equipment on the market.  No more $10k amplifiers that go on the fritz because there's limited quality control given only 75 have been produced in the history of the company. 

Downsides of the system are the complexity of set-up and learning all the new vocabulary associated with computer audio.  Sometimes chasing down 24 bit files is a pain in the a*s, but no more difficult than finding any other truly great recording.  Probably the toughest thing though is getting your head around the seemingly ridiculous concept that maybe just maybe digital can be better.  But once you're there ... it's awesome.  Release the shackles people!

For those of you wondering, I don't have any affiliation with Emerald Physics, Orpheus  or any other manufacturer/reseller of audio equipment.  I'm just one guy with some perfectionist tendencies that happens to really enjoy listening to music.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2010, 09:16 pm »
Wow. What an endorsement of the speakers. Heck of a first post. What is your associated equipment? Did you get the speakers with the amps as part of the package or use other amplification? And other gear in the chain?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2010, 09:48 pm »
I checked out the Emerald Physics websight and I'm not sure that these speaker fall into the Affordable Audio domain.  :o :o 

More like Affordable$$ Audio.  :P

-Roy

dibber

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2010, 10:55 pm »
Yes, got the Wyred4Sound stereo class D solid state amps and an apple imac pro (w/1 terrabyte drive). That's all the equipment needed.  Download cd or .wav files with mac, so no separate CD player necessary.  No separate phono prestage or preamp required with orpheus (it's built in) even if still want to spin vinyl.  System isn't cheap ($15k or so) but if reference point is high-end audiophile equipment, then arguably affordable...

They also have a refurbished CS2 speakers with an apogee duet (in lieu of the orpheus) and same wyred4sound bi-amps, all for under $10,000 (including price of new imac and all software).  Still quite a bit, but that is, no question, the most affordable 24 bit compatible, spatial software enhanced, computer audio system on the market.  If that's what you want, that's the entry point.

spurzheim

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2010, 02:07 pm »
A review of the Emerald Physics CS3's will appear in our next issue.

At $2995, it is certainly a more affordable model...

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:40 pm »
I checked out the Emerald Physics websight and I'm not sure that these speaker fall into the Affordable Audio domain.  :o :o 

More like Affordable$$ Audio.  :P

-Roy

Roy:
With all due respect $3000 for a pair of speakers is still pretty low on the price bar.  The general rule is $3K or less at A$$A. To be honest, we've reviewed speakers at a higher price point on a couple of occasions, and though I was a bit wary, I agreed because it gave the writer a chance to experience something up the audio chain.  In addition, many of our readers buy used gear as a way of getting more bang for their buck.

Sometimes, we get lucky in life and our able to purchase and enjoy something that we thought was a bit beyond our reach.

dibber

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:40 pm »
On the affordability point, the Wyred4Sound stereo amps are really quite affordable given that they are direct order over the internet under $2,000.  Refurbished emerald physics CS2s are actaully even cheaper than CS3s, (less than $2,000 from Underwood) although CS2s require biamping so when you calculate the extra $1,000 or so for the second stereo amp, it's a wash ... but the bi-amping really improves the open baffle sound.  The imac is $1200 or so new, but mac mini also works which is less than $1,000.  Actually, any mac with Firewire compatibility works, so one can go used for say $500 without any sound degredation.  The digital processors are expensive $2,000 to $5,000, but for that you're getting recording studio equipment.  There is some of this equipment available in the used market that is in reasonably good shape.  The processors also act as preamp, phono preamp and active crossover so they end up eliminating the need for a lot of other expensive equipment.  The software to manage the active crossover for the bi-amped CS2 and the spatial software are expensive ($2,000 or so installed), and there's no legal way to get around paying for that.   Nothing else is needed.