This struck me as hilarious (Keith Jarret post)

Dokter_doug

« on: 13 Jan 2004, 03:26 am »
I have recently (massively) upgraded my stereo. My three latest additions have been PMC IB1's driven by Bryston 7B ST monoblocks, and a McIntosh MCD205 CD player. I have rejoiced in redicovering my entire CD collection. I thus greatly looked forward to listening to my favorite Keith Jarret trio CD's (Jack DeJohnette and Gary Peacock) anew.

I almost died laughing. Keith Jarret doesn't grunt: he howls! I can now easily hear his vocalizations. They tend to nicely spatialize to a postion distributed towards my right speaker, where he would be sitting, and are possessed of all those qualities that we so treasure in highly revealing and involving high fidelity stereos. Perhaps more than any other "test" of my new equipment this listening experience has let me know exactly how much of an upgrade I have recently effected with my new purchases...and completely tickled my funny bone.

The music is just as wonderful as it has always been, and I really don't mind Keith's vocalizations: I just never realized how...glorious they were.

brucegel

jarrett
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2004, 11:35 pm »
Nice to see that someone out there can listen past the vocalizations and into the genius of KEITH JARRETT'S muse.I vocalize all the time when I play tablas and if anyone cares... it is the way to learn complicated rythmic structure for as long as anyone can remember.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2004, 11:41 pm »
Glenn Gould is another of those vocalizers.  His last recording of the Goldberg variations are pretty funny for just that reason.

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2004, 01:34 am »
Yup.  I have that music in LP.  Scary, if played in the midnight hour and you are by yourself. Nice system by the way.  Monk also vocalizes and grunt as much as Jarret but Monk's grunt is almost always in tune with what he's playing.  Jarret, on the other hand sometimes hums and grunts to a different rhythm.  This is one more reason I miss my TT.  The clarity, separation, imaging and presence of music nuances that makes us realize how good a system we assembled.  Patiently waiting for a Teres.....

John Revilla  M.D.