The Black Lightning is FANTASTIC!

TONEPUB

The Black Lightning is FANTASTIC!
« on: 24 Nov 2009, 02:13 am »
Just wanted to share with any of you that might be on the fence about the Black Lightning, write Vinnie a check!!

I just got mine today and am really impressed.  Mine was made for my Nagra VPS phono preamplifier, and it's taken a world class phono stage a couple more significant steps.

We have a full review on the way (probably a week or two, as I want to listen to more records) but right off the bat, the sound is much more dynamic, with more bass weight and a wider soundstage.  But the big bonus is the quiet background.  The Nagra was no slouch before, but if you got close to the tweeters, you could always hear just a little bit of background noise and hum.  With the Black Lightning, it's dead quiet.  Solid State quiet.

I think I need another one for my Nagra LB digital recorder!

Awesome job Vinnie....

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: The Black Lightning is FANTASTIC!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2009, 05:43 pm »
Hi Jeff,

but right off the bat, the sound is much more dynamic, with more bass weight and a wider soundstage.  But the big bonus is the quiet background.

Thanks for posting your initial Black Lightning impressions! 

You are certainly using it with some really high-end gear, and I'm glad you are using it with a phonostage:

A phonostage takes a very delicate, low-voltage signal and has to boost it to a line-level signal (so there is a lot of gain involved, 50dB or 60dB for MC is not uncommon) - so a clean supply is essential for this application in order to not boost power supply noise along with the low-voltage signal from your MM or MC cartridge.

So this is a good test for the Black Lightning!  The BL also offers much higher output current (much lower output impedance), so better dynamics and bass weight you report are to be expected).

Also try it with that Wadia iTransport cable I sent you - I have, and BL clearly makes it a much better sounding transport.  The stock switch mode supply for the Wadia is dirt cheap and very noisy - it does not do the iTransport justice...

I think I need another one for my Nagra LB digital recorder!

Your Series 10 Black Lightning will power your Nagra LB recorder for over 24 hours - I'll make you the cable (just let me know the required DC power plug).  Clean power is very important for clean recordings - so this will be another great test of what the BL can do!

Looking forward to the full review, and thanks again for posting your initial impressions.

Have fun!  :)

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2009, 12:38 pm »
The Black Lightning review is now live on the Tone Audio website (in the "Gear" section):

http://www.tonepublications.com/gear/the-red-wine-audio-black-lightning-dc-power-supply/

I want to thank Jeff at Tone Audio for all his interest and time spent in reviewing the Black Lightning.  Jeff contacted me about a 12V SLA battery power supply for his Nagra a while back, and I thank him for giving me the nudge to make this idea a reality!  :beer:

Best regards,

Vinnie

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2009, 04:39 am »
Hey Vinnie, I've got a few more ideas for you!

:)

Thanks for knocking it out of the park with this....

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2009, 04:54 pm »

Nice review Jeff. In the past I've spent this kind of money on aftermarket power cords and even $1,000 ICs, sometime only to come away with yes it's different, but is it really that much better? This is one of the most black and white reviews I have ever read. Thanks for putting it on the line. Who knows, maybe Vinnie is on to something with this battery thing, huh?

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2010, 05:52 am »

Nice review Jeff. In the past I've spent this kind of money on aftermarket power cords and even $1,000 ICs, sometime only to come away with yes it's different, but is it really that much better? This is one of the most black and white reviews I have ever read. Thanks for putting it on the line. Who knows, maybe Vinnie is on to something with this battery thing, huh?

Thanks.

One of the most difficult parts of reviewing anything is the hope that you will hear a very clear cut difference and the Black Lightning offers such a big jump in performance (at least with my two Nagra pieces) that it makes it very easy to recommend.  I've got a few more places I'd like to try it, so I'm guessing I'm going to need at least one more!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2010, 12:52 am »
Hi Jeff,

Happy New Year!

I'll contact you this week regarding another Black Lightning for your
system - glad you are enjoying it!  8)

Vinnie

truant

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:47 am »
Is it possible to put together a Black Lightning for a MacBook Pro?  I much prefer running mine on it's battery power but it runs down pretty fast.  What is the likelihood that the Black Lightning would offer superior sonics over the MacBook's own battery?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:41 pm »
Is it possible to put together a Black Lightning for a MacBook Pro?  I much prefer running mine on it's battery power but it runs down pretty fast.  What is the likelihood that the Black Lightning would offer superior sonics over the MacBook's own battery?

Hi Truant,

I don't recommend the Black Lightning for the Macboooks.  They use a different internal battery technology (and the power supply uses an irregular voltage) and I'm not sure how safe it would be to feed it with Black Lightning. 

I know there is a company (forgot the name) that makes an external battery pack that was designed specifically to work with Macbooks to give you more hours of usage, and it is less expensive than a Black Lightning.  I remember Ken Ball of ALO Audio showing me this with this Macbook - I wish I remember the name of the product.  :oops:

A search on google or trip to your local Apple Store should be able to help with find this battery pack.

Best regards,

Vinnie

truant

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2010, 03:36 pm »
Sorry to hear about that but thanks for the heads up on another alternative.  I'll see what I can find out...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:21 am »
Truant,

This should do the trick!

http://www.pitchengine.com/sanhocorporation/hypermac--worlds-exclusive-apple-macbook-external-battery-pack-that-works-with-all-macbook-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-models/10449/

Hi Profbratsch,

Thanks for the link - yes, this is a good example!  These are specifically made for the Macbook (and probably made by the thousands), so you get matching styling and the best bang for your buck.

Awesome!

Vinnie