BCD-1 or BDA-1 + Arcam CD33

RonCH

BCD-1 or BDA-1 + Arcam CD33
« on: 23 Nov 2009, 09:40 pm »
I was planning to upgrade my Arcam CD33 to a Bryston BCD-1.  But the more I read about the BDA-1, the more I wonder if I wouldn't be better off keeping the Arcam CD player and buying the BDA-1. Not only is it the cheaper option but it allows me to also have a music server ( an Apple TV for example ) as well.  My question is should I expect the same sort of sound quality from the Arcam CD33 + BDA-1 compared to the BCD-1?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

ian.ameline

Re: BCD-1 or BDA-1 + Arcam CD33
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2009, 12:45 am »
Either choice is excellent.

The arcam will make a great transport for the BDA-1. I have one (A BDA-1), and it sounds fantastic. As you point out the BDA-1 also allows you to have a music server too. I don't regret my purchase of the BDA-1 at all -- I think it is a great product and I'm very happy with mine.

I'd use a good coax cable, as short as you can manage with a bnc connector on the end that plugs into the BDA-1. BlueJeans cable can make one up for you at a reasonable price.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

They want only $16 for a 3 foot rca to bnc cable made from Belden 1694A cable, with 75 ohm canaire connectors (both RCA and BNC). Quite frankly, I believe you're wasting money to spend any more than this. (Recording studios use this sort of cable all over the place.)

-- Ian.

werd

Re: BCD-1 or BDA-1 + Arcam CD33
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2009, 12:59 am »
Either choice is excellent.

The arcam will make a great transport for the BDA-1. I have one (A BDA-1), and it sounds fantastic. As you point out the BDA-1 also allows you to have a music server too. I don't regret my purchase of the BDA-1 at all -- I think it is a great product and I'm very happy with mine.

I'd use a good coax cable, as short as you can manage with a bnc connector on the end that plugs into the BDA-1. BlueJeans cable can make one up for you at a reasonable price.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

They want only $16 for a 3 foot rca to bnc cable made from Belden 1694A cable, with 75 ohm canaire connectors (both RCA and BNC). Quite frankly, I believe you're wasting money to spend any more than this. (Recording studios use this sort of cable all over the place.)

-- Ian.

HI

I would go with the BDA. I found the stereophile review (Arcam) on line and they were impressed with the coax out on it. I bet you its a great transport. dont have the link right now to it. If i had to keep the one or the other i would keep the BDA over the BCD only because of it's versatility. The BCD on cd is better and i cant imagine a tranport with the BDA that would better it but i love playing with different sources. The dac is funner in that regard and makes it more interesting.