x-ls upgrade?

yakman2000

x-ls upgrade?
« on: 23 Nov 2009, 09:34 pm »
Now that the N3 as are almost finished, I can think about other projects.

So Qs:

Is the T3 or T6 tweeter a good upgrade for x-ls classics? 

Would an infinite baffe (not really infinite, just the attic, about 50 feet long) subwoofer using the SB-12 work reasonably well, assuming it was properly located?

What would be the smallest volume for one of those that could be considered an infinite baffle? 

I'll post pics of the N3s when they get finished.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: x-ls upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2009, 11:24 pm »
You could get an upgrade kit from skiing ninja to make it an xls "encore". Danny has said that is a very nice tweeter. May want to look at the network for upgrades too.

Your 12b isn't designed for infinite baffle applications. You would be better off putting it in a sealed box.

Would love to see your N3's.  How are you finishing them?

-Tony

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2009, 02:14 am »
I just bought the remaining stock of Encore tweeters from Sean. Unless he hasn't shopped them yet. So I will be able to provide you with the upgraded tweeters and networks if you want to upgrade them.

Tony is right about the sub. Infinite baffle will only work if you don't feed them too much power as they really weren't designed for that application.

yakman2000

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2009, 04:55 pm »
The tweeter sounds good.

I'm not currently interested in the new networks unless they are pretty inexpensive. If they were then perhaps. ....

The Neo 3s are done with Makore (African Walnut-sort-of) veneer and solid mohongany bases with a clear satin poly varnish finish.  Expect pictures by end of week.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2009, 05:18 pm »
I just upgraded a pair of X-CS' with the encore tweeter and matched sonicaps from the Ninja.

Absolutely worth it!

They sound like precision instruments now with a clarity I've never heard before from any of my previous speakers (B&W, Definitive Tech.)

Having owned a pair of X-SLS' and the X-Voce for over a year now I've become pretty familiar with the encore tweeters.  They have a great, open sound to them and amazed me as they broke in.  They never sounded too bright or tizzy.  Very detailed but controlled.

Hearing them with sonicap gen 1s and bypassed with Platinums opened them up even more than I thought they were capable of! :o

If you've only heard them with the stock AV123 crossovers, then you haven't heard what they are really capable of doing.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2009, 05:53 pm »
Danny,
Isn't there some adjustment necessary to the network with the new tweeter?

How much is it for a pair? I have xls classics might upgrade....

-Tony

johnzm

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2009, 02:41 pm »
danny,

how many tweeters did you get, if you dont mind me asking.

after the purchase and install of the encore tweeters i also noticed the speakers are now a MUCH better sounding speaker. but i worried about the fact that if i blow a tweeter, they are basically useless because the std to encore tweeter is not a production part.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2009, 03:01 pm »
It uses the same woofer network but requires a new tweeter network.

I'll work up some prices as soon as I have time. I think I can do a real low cost version of it too.

I think Sean is sending me a little over 100 of the tweeters so I am sure that I will have them on hand for a while.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2009, 05:13 am »
I'll be keeping a small supply for any warranty claims.

danny,

how many tweeters did you get, if you dont mind me asking.

after the purchase and install of the encore tweeters i also noticed the speakers are now a MUCH better sounding speaker. but i worried about the fact that if i blow a tweeter, they are basically useless because the std to encore tweeter is not a production part.

yakman2000

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2009, 07:54 pm »
Any news on prices, etc?

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2009, 09:57 pm »
He's waiting on the tweeters from me; I'm sure he will have pricing nailed down soon.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2010, 05:43 pm »
It uses the same woofer network but requires a new tweeter network.

I'll work up some prices as soon as I have time. I think I can do a real low cost version of it too.

I think Sean is sending me a little over 100 of the tweeters so I am sure that I will have them on hand for a while.

Hey Danny,  did you ever get these tweeters in?  A friend of mine has a pair of X-SLS classics that he's looking to upgrade.  Also, how much for the pair of tweeters and a sonicap package?

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2010, 05:51 pm »
He does have the tweeters.  I'll let him comment on package pricing.  You can use our step by step install guide of course to complete the upgrade.

cujobob

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2010, 05:53 pm »
Actually, I'd be down for an X-LS upgrade too if the price is right.

m-fine

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:50 pm »
The X-SLS are just begging for a Neo 2X upgrade. If you are going to upgrade them anyway, take it all the way!

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:59 pm »
Okay here are two separate packages:

All new Erse XQ inductors, Erse poly caps, Lynk resistors and Gen.2 Sonicap by-pass caps for the tweeter circuit. This includes the new tweeters, wiring diagram, new high quality wiring, solder, and heat shrink. $125

Same as above but with all Sonicaps and Mills resistors.... $225.

yakman2000

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:03 am »
Before pulling the trigger on the one thing, would the hot setup actually be to upgrade the x-ls's as Neo1 or 2x rather than just the tweeter?

Either way how would I order the Erse package?  I don't see it on the site.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:07 am »

Before pulling the trigger on the one thing, would the hot setup actually be to upgrade the x-ls's as Neo1 or 2x rather than just the tweeter?

You can use those boxes (with a modification to the tweeter hole) for N2X kits.

Either way how would I order the Erse package?  I don't see it on the site.

Just e-mail me with what you want and all your shipping info (info@gr-research.com). Then call me Monday with CC info (940-592-3400).

cujobob

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:35 am »
Aren't X-LS ported?  So wouldn't it be the N1X?

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2010, 01:49 am »
The M-165X used in the N2X has the same frame as the woofer used in the X-LS. So it is a drop in replacement. The smaller 5.25" woofers used in the N1 and N1X will not fit that hole.

You will need to plug the port though if you use an X-LS box.