For Wayne:Van Alstine upgrade

Zoe

« on: 13 Jan 2004, 01:47 am »
Wayne: There is a thread on the Van Alstine circle about your power cable upgrade. It implies that there is more to the upgrade than just the cable. But your website doesn't indicate that at all.  What does the Van Alstine upgrade consist of (for, say, at least the pre-amp)?

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2004, 03:14 am »
This is pretty much another work in progress.

When Jerry (Turk) gave me his T7 preamp to change out the power cable, I was poking around and saw a few things I would have done different. I spoke to Jerry and he said go ahead and make some changes. I changed a goodly amount of the internal wire, and some of the resistor and caps out to a higher (more expensive) grade.

When the DAM got together a week and a half ago we compared the work I did on Jerry's preamp to Tyson's newly upgraded T7. The results of that listening session were posted here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7204

After the get together, Tyson asked me to do some work on his T7. I plan to replace a fair amount of the parts in the signal path. I am going to replace the volume and selector switches with a DACT stepped attenuator and a DACT selector switch. The balance control will be replaced with either TKD or DACT. All the wire will be replaced, I will also change out the panel mount RCA input and output jacks. There will be some capacitor and resistor replacement and shortening of the signal path. All of this will not be cheap but should continue the changes reported in the get together at Jerry's.

I did note that with the T7, without the phono preamp board, if the main signal board is moved, the DACT attenuator and the Bent Audio remote control motor can be added. Again, this will not be a cheap mod. I will guestimate a cost of around $500.00 to add a remote volume control to the T7.

I seem to be always working on some new mod or upgrade, lately. I really don't like adding stuff to the website until everything is worked out, broken in and all the costs finalized.

I am still working on the mods to the Carver Pro digital amp. I put it aside for a little while to get the sale orders made and finish up the Panny and AVA mods. I do need to get that amp finished up very soon.

The power cable mod offered on the website is just that. I may be offering the additional mods at sometime in the future, depending on the outcome of Tyson's T7 mod.

If there is some product that you would like me to come up with mods for, drop me an e-mail. I am rather tied up for the next few weeks, but I am always looking to expand my offerings  :D  I may need whoever to send me the product for a month or more to determine what needs to be done and the best way to do it. There are plenty of people working on DVD and CD players that I would prefer not to get into that line. Preamps, power amps, D/A convetors, phono stages, etc. All of that kind of gear would be fun.

Bosh

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2004, 05:19 am »
Wayne:

I own the AVA T6 hybrid Phono Stage and I've been itching to upgrade the power cord.  Even with my limited skills, is this really something I'd have to ship out to you to have done?

Thanks

Bosh :scratch:

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2004, 03:40 pm »
I do prefer to do the work here. That way I can make sure the strain relief is attatched properly and the phase is correct.

I will also do a couple of other wire changes to help off set the shipping charge.

dvb

AVA Amp upgrades
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2004, 07:41 pm »
I read your upgrades to the AVA preamps with interest.  I don't have an AVA preamp (using a Little Wonder passive with stepped attenuator), but have an AVA amp (500ex).

Have you had a look in the AVA amps to see if any upgrades would be worthwhile?

As to the power cord upgrade,  I am surprised by the length you offer --I just need about 9 inches of power cord, not six feet!

By the way, I hear this rumbling coming from Minnesota way --is that some kind of winter storm, or just Frank reacting to these mods?  :D

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2004, 01:13 am »
Six feet is the standard length for an after market power cable.

As all my cables are made to order, I can make it any length you wish.

Please contact me by PM or E-mail for pricing for the length you need.