Damaged Cornet board

penance

Damaged Cornet board
« on: 12 Jan 2004, 09:42 pm »
After another afternoon of component swapping ive managed to lift 3 pads off the underside of the PCB.
I have bodged it with wire links for now but is there any way of effecting a permanent repair?

I think this will end up as a proto/test board untill i settle on component choice and then ordering a new one :(

GRD

Damaged Cornet board
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2004, 05:52 am »
Could you provide some more detail on the lifting problem.  I had some minor lifting of a trace when I replaced a component but the connection was sound once I soldered everything back in place.  I also undestand that wire bridges are acceptable fixes in some cases.

penance

Damaged Cornet board
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2004, 08:28 pm »
HI GRD

The circular pads on the non component side of the board have completely come away from the board.
Over zelous with the iron i think :|

GRD

Damaged Cornet board
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2004, 11:34 pm »
I think you'll need an expert opinion.  My minor trace lifting was on the component side, caused by pulling the component off (the solder on the component side stuck to the surface of the through-hole plating).  But it was minor and the trace was intact so I just made sure the solder wetted the hole, the trace connection to the hole, and up onto the component lead.  In my case a solid solder connection to the hole/trace junction seemed to work out fine.  It was very minor lifting.

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
Damaged Cornet board
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2004, 05:18 am »
For desoldering, I like to add more solder, heat the lead & pad, then pull component out.  One leg at a time.  Important to add new solder and flux each time.  Then I use a sucker to remove solder from pad.  Doing this I can replace a resistor or cap at least a dozen times without any damage.  The key is to add solder.

If a pad is damaged, then you can scrape away soldermask from a trace (often to thin) using a razor blade.  Usually you just have to run a wire to the nearest connecting pad.  Or just mount the component diagonally to reach across the board and solder to another component lead already on that trace.  You can use silicone glue to re-insulate anything if needed.

jh
 :|

penance

Damaged Cornet board
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2004, 09:41 am »
Thanks Jim
ive used silver wire links for now.
Not at the end of cap trials yet, so i think once i have settled on what caps ill stick with ill be ordering a new board :?