Again please, differences between 7BSST2 and 14BSST2?

Waker

I know this has been discussed before, but based on advantages and differences, which of the two should I buy?  I have all the cables and cords for either, and am driving the Maggie 3.6Rs.  My speaker cables are 8 feet long, interconnects 2 feet, and I cannot change those at present.  Any opinions or experiences will help me decide. Thanks.           

Mad Mr H

Re: Again please, differences between 7BSST2 and 14BSST2?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:50 pm »
Hi,

It would appear the general opinion of forum members that a pair of 7B is the better choice than a single 14B.

That said I know one person that prefers the 14 to the 7 for audio quality.

If i remember correctly.......

The 14 has less heatsink area than two 7's - But maybe the 14 is more temp stable, cold is not always best - Food for thought?

A 14 has less capacitance on the PSU than 2x7's - I think this is more to do with room in the case.

Now one thing to consider is system specific 7's or 14.

A pair of 7's can be placed near the speakers and is the best location for the amps. Space available and power may also need consideraton.

Slightly less cost for a 14 than a air of 7's - But for me the cost reduction is due to the single chassis and not reduction in audio quality.

I have both 14 and 7's in my system, my choice was for several reasons, what was available second hand.

I use the 14 to bi amp a center ch.

I hope that has been some help to you.

Waker

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2009, 12:14 am »
Thankyou for that very helpful explanation.  The 7's just may be my choice.   

Burke

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2009, 01:49 am »
Waker, while either a 14B or a couple of 7B's would work well with your Maggies, I can tell you from experience that a pair of the 7B SST amps will work great with Magnepan MG 3.6 speakers. Like they were "made for each other". (The SST2 will presumably be even better.) I have another one powering my Maggie center as well. Rumor has it that the owner of Magnepan uses the 7B/Maggie 3.6 combo in one of his own installations.

I liked the opportunity to place each amp right next to the speaker it is driving, which is where they are now. Running balanced interconnects from the SP2 pre/pro to the 7B SST amps, I wasn't worried about longer distances on those runs. (It really shouldn't be a problem with long -- I'm talking maybe 12 to 15 feet here, not 50 -- unbalanced interconnects either, as long as you don't have a power cord running in parallel to the interconnects.)

Even though you already have cables that you cannot replace at the moment, so placement of the amp near the speaker isn't an overriding concern right now, it might still make sense to go with the 7Bs just to be able to lug them around individually without requiring a fork lift or a followup visit to an orthopedist. :>)

Enjoy!

Burke

Waker

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2009, 09:05 pm »
Thanks Burke.  I like what you have said there. 

werd

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2009, 09:27 pm »
Hi,

It would appear the general opinion of forum members that a pair of 7B is the better choice than a single 14B.

That said I know one person that prefers the 14 to the 7 for audio quality.

If i remember correctly.......

The 14 has less heatsink area than two 7's - But maybe the 14 is more temp stable, cold is not always best - Food for thought?

A 14 has less capacitance on the PSU than 2x7's - I think this is more to do with room in the case.

Now one thing to consider is system specific 7's or 14.

A pair of 7's can be placed near the speakers and is the best location for the amps. Space available and power may also need consideraton.

Slightly less cost for a 14 than a air of 7's - But for me the cost reduction is due to the single chassis and not reduction in audio quality.

I have both 14 and 7's in my system, my choice was for several reasons, what was available second hand.

I use the 14 to bi amp a center ch.

I hope that has been some help to you.

Hi mad mr h

Is there much of a difference sonically between the two or is 14B close to 7B's. Obviousily a diff but how much?

predrag

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2009, 08:34 am »
I owe a pair of 7B squared and have heard 14B squared.
There is not much difference in sound (if any).
Monoblocks have a few little advantages because of placing adjacent to loudspeakers.
14B squared with handles in silver looks awesome!
Either of them is a good choice and you won`t regret if you buy them.

Cheers!

Mad Mr H

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2009, 03:37 pm »
I dont hear any change between my 7's and 14.

For commercial installs I would always go 2x7 - this is just in case you ever have down time and only one ch to replace.

Andy.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2009, 07:17 pm »
Thanx guys

I have my 4B/sq up on Agon if anyone is interested

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2009, 09:13 pm »
Werd,what's it gonna be a pair of 7s or a 14.

werd

« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2009, 09:51 pm »
hey Don

I am not going to sell my 4B until i get the price i want. Its in immaculate shape, (i think there might have been a little dust on it once). I will use my 120 watt blue circle during the interim. The 14B i buy will have a 2010 serial # so not till spring. Can you get the 14B in 17in models? Might get the 19in as it seems more able to resist heat with the larger chassis.

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2009, 11:29 pm »
I think it's just the face plate that is wider(2")and then them there nice handles.
As far as I know you can swap out the faceplates if you wanted to go to a 19".
I actually sold one here awhile ago for a (17"4B-sst)which was swapped with 19"

werd

« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2009, 08:21 pm »
I think it's just the face plate that is wider(2")and then them there nice handles.
As far as I know you can swap out the faceplates if you wanted to go to a 19".
I actually sold one here awhile ago for a (17"4B-sst)which was swapped with 19"

Thats good to know.... i am going for the 17in.

Burke

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm »
The handles that come with the 19" faceplate not only look good, but are very handy when moving the heavier power amp models around (not that any of them are feather weight, as solidly as Bryston builds them). :>)

Burke

drummermitchell

« Reply #14 on: 29 Nov 2009, 11:37 pm »
I know what you mean, 28s :weights:..