The Triplets of Belleville

jlupine

« on: 12 Jan 2004, 08:11 pm »
It's wildly original, imaginative, unpredictable, and creative.  It's also eccentric, dark, and eerie.  Some elements are inexplicable, others are gratuitous.  It's the only animated feature that I consider as good as Spirited Away.  I enjoyed Finding Nemo much more than I expected, but it was too formulaic and technologically based for me.  The Triplets and Spirited Away use technology with more forbearance and always subordinate it to artistry.  I've attended movies with deeper bass, wider dynamic range, and more spectacular spatial effects, but I don't know of any movie with better overall sound.

Jan

samba dees

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2004, 09:12 pm »
I can't wait to see it, its coming to the movie theater I work at.  But first I have to wait for 21 grams and In America to finish their run :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2004, 09:34 pm »
Did you like Grave of the Fireflies?  It's probably the best animated movie I've ever seen.

For anyone who hasn't seen it: http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2000/03/fireflies.html

jlupine

Grave of the Fireflies
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2004, 08:35 pm »
I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, but I'll definitely try to track it down.  My nephew saw it in Japanese class and found it quite moving.  It will be especially interesting to see an animated feature with a tone much more somber than those in features with whimsical plots like the Triplets and Spirited Away.  Thanks for the recommendation !

Jan

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2004, 08:43 pm »
One interesting aspect of Grave of the Fireflies is that given it was based on the life experiences of a Japanese man who lost his family in WWII, the movie never paints America as the bad guys.  On the contrary, it seems like his countryman's wickedness and apathy stung as much as the firebombing.

This isn't a movie to watch with the kids, and not right before you go to bed.  There are uplifting moments of great beauty in the film, but overall it's fairly bleak and depressing.  It's hard not to get choked up over Seita's relationship with his little sister, especially if you have a little sister yourself.