Costner's "OPEN RANGE" already coming to DVD?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 12 Jan 2004, 08:03 pm »
I see this one's due out the 20th of Jan- sheesh, didn't this just finish its theatrical run very recently?  Wonder if that means it tanked at the box office?  It drew raves from nearly every critic in America; supposed it's good enough to erase the stain of...well, every other movie he's made since Dances With Wolves.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2004, 08:09 pm »
Well, according to this http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2003/OPRNG.php it only made $58mil. Which probably didn't cover costs.

But it did come out on 8/15/03. So a release of 1/20/04 is only 5 months between theatrical & DVD release. And 5 months is a pretty standard  delay right now.

Look at Underworld if you want a quicker DVD release example. Less than 4 months to disc. Don't know why as it made a decent amount of money since the production costs were so low.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2004, 09:09 pm »
Time flies, I guess. I hadn't realized it came out that long ago. The cheap theater was playing it fairly recently- that shoulda told me it'd been out a while.

I plan to buy it when it comes out, mostly due to the good reviews.  And there aren't a lot of westerns anymore.