Oppo

Charles Calkins

Oppo
« on: 18 Nov 2009, 12:51 am »
I was just on the Oppo website and it looks like they are only offering two Blu ray players. $899 or $499. GEEEZZZEEEE!!! I sure like my 980. Killer player for the price. I'm not too sure about these  Blu Ray players. Some people can see a difference others can't. Audio is another thing. Better?. Or about the same.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Oppo
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2009, 12:58 am »
Charles,
Are you saying that there are some people who can't tell the difference between a DVD and a BluRay picture??  Or are you saying between an Oppo 83 and an SE?  The SE has no upgrades on the picture or digital side, just the analog outputs (and subsequent audio DACs).  Better or same as what?  The Oppo 83 has more positive reviews and awards than any player in recent history; should be easy to find.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:27 am »
I really like what the BDP-83 I have does for my DVD collection, and it's great with Blu-ray too.

I may send mine back to Oppo for an up-grade to SE status, but I'm hoping someone else near me does it first, and then maybe we could get together and compare them side-by-side...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:50 am »
As posted elsewhere here, I have them both (SE and basic) and have had the SE running 24/7 before critically a/b'ing the stereo analog outs.  I just finished checking the analog output variation with a test tone cd (none to speak of) and will start the comparo tonight.  DSD SACD will be my primary interest.  I told the guys on AVS I'd also bring out my older Sony TAP-9000ES analog mch surround pre to get an idea how improved the Sabre 9006 mch outs are too (although my mch music listening is through HDMI normally).  Those tests will be later in the week or late next week, after too much turkey.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:17 am »
Thanks Ted, I look forward to your impressions.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:53 am »
As posted elsewhere here, I have them both (SE and basic) and have had the SE running 24/7 before critically a/b'ing the stereo analog outs.  I just finished checking the analog output variation with a test tone cd (none to speak of) and will start the comparo tonight.  DSD SACD will be my primary interest.  I told the guys on AVS I'd also bring out my older Sony TAP-9000ES analog mch surround pre to get an idea how improved the Sabre 9006 mch outs are too (although my mch music listening is through HDMI normally).  Those tests will be later in the week or late next week, after too much turkey.

Looking forward to the comparison!

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:55 am »
I was just on the Oppo website and it looks like they are only offering two Blu ray players. $899 or $499. GEEEZZZEEEE!!!                                                         Cheers
                                                       Charlie

Charlie the BDP83 is ALOT more than a Blue ray player, it's the best universal player on the planet for the $$ spent !!