your best multi-channel recording???

RussKon

« on: 12 Jan 2004, 02:26 am »
what disc do you consider to be your best multi-channel recording??

any genre... sacd or dvd-audio....(heck...quadraphonic if you still have it)....

my top selections....(i myself have a hard time deciding)...

1. maynard ferguson - one more trip to birdland - sacd
-OMG...just got this one today.... you would swear you were front row center at one of his concerts - only better... awesome dynamics and extreme detail - esp. in the softer passages... highly recommended if you like big band jazz... actually most of his band is made up of recent hotshot college jazz players....

2. 1812 overture - cinncinati pops orchestra - sacd
- if you like tchaikovsky at all you need to own this disc.... very good recording and yes it is the one with the warning on the label about volume levels and damaging your speakers due to the cannons on the recording....

3. pink floyd - dark side of the moon - sacd
- even if you don't care for this group you need to own this disc.... this disc is almost an advertisement for multi-channel or at least the best remastering job in history - taking a 2 channel source recording and making an outstanding multi-channel recording....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2004, 03:08 am »
It's tough to pick just one.  Off the top of my head, both the newer Steely Dan discs sound amazing, as does Donald Fagan's The Nightfly.  SACD-wise, Beck's Sea Change is tough to top, as is Nickel Creek's This Side.

At this particular moment, I might say the most intriguing/best MC disc I've ever heard is the DVD-A version of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

Dokter_doug

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2004, 03:29 am »
1. Both Grateful DVD-Audios (American Beauty and Workingmans' Dead)

2. Yellow Jackets' Time Squared

3. Rachel Podger's La Stravaganza...absolutely and unreservedly the best, ever, multichannel SACD.

bob82274

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2004, 05:08 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock

At this particular moment, I might say the most intriguing/best MC disc I've ever heard is the DVD-A version of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

Sadly I don't have a DVD-A player but I can atleast use the DD tracks for this one.  Might be worth picking up later this year as Yoshimi is easily in my top 3 for best music I have picked up in the past year or so.

SCUBADON

• http://24SCUBA.COM
best multi channel
« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2004, 01:18 am »
Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"   DTS

SCUBADON

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
Re: your best multi-channel recording???
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2004, 12:02 am »
Quote from: RussKon
what disc do you consider to be your best multi-channel recording??

Guitar Noir - Lawrence Juber -  AIX  DVD-A