47 pf cap what's xto?

harryf

47 pf cap what's xto?
« on: 17 Nov 2009, 03:17 pm »
c 502 is 47 pf.I looked at all the caps around the chip trying to figure out if any thing looked bad i noticed the 22 pf cap looked very small compared to the 47 pf cap.So i went through all my packageing and found i had put a 1 uf cap there.
digikey's part number for a 1 uf 50 v cap is 478-3195-nd.
Not as the parts list state's for a 47 pf 50 v cap.
So i actually have a 47 pf cap on hand.
I measure it it's a 500v silver mica and it measures high.80 pf not 47.
So i install it and finally i get sound but no music the left led is still red.
So here's my question what's xto.I did a search and came up with x band triode occilator.
Is this what xto is?It does sound like it's occilating.
I assume since it goes to a computer chip it's not like a tube amp.There is no room for a bit higher or lower value it must be 47 pf?
This might still be keeping my chime from running?

analog97

Re: 47 pf cap what's xto?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2009, 04:13 pm »
Harry,

It seems to me that you have made a number of mistakes in your build.  I suggest you take the time to carefully and sytematically look at each and every component you have installed.  Make sure each and every component is the correct one and that each and every solder joint is OK.  Take your time and double check everything.  I made a few blunders in one of my builds because I put in some wrong resistors.  I can not help you with most of your technical questions, but I am here to tell you that all of my limited mistakes were MY MISTAKES.   Take a deep breath, exhale slowly and check everything.  Best wishes. :)

harryf

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2009, 06:15 pm »
Well to say i made a few mistake would be a understatement.I have made 5.
I also am quite calm and am systematicaly looking for mistakes.That's how i found the 47 pf caps part number is wrong.

harryf

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2009, 07:48 pm »
Well a interesting thing i found.The 22 pf cap i was sent by digikey reads 42 pf on my cap reader.I found this out because digikey messed up my order and sent me two sets of 22 pf caps.
So not only was the 47 pf cap i got wrong so was the 22 pf cap.I figure its really the 47 pf cap either with the wrong value,wrong part number or a mistake.
I also got a set of 500 v silver mica caps as i put a set of these in another project in the feedback loop of a amp.The 47 pf silver mica reads 80 pf on both sets i have from two manufactuer's.
So i'm stuck with no 22 pf cap but i can connect two caps in series to get the value i need.
I'm not sure if this has been why i can't get a s/pidf signal but we will see.
I'm not getting a steady voltage out the rca's.
If i learned anything from this build it is this.
Stuff like pots and large value caps buy from digikey and ic's.
Little stuff go to a place like parts connection.

Either way double check everything with your multi meter.Don't trust the part numbers or whoever at digikey stuffed them.To error is human
On my other hagerman stuff i was really anal about what i bought.
On the chime as it was digital i just went with the stock parts listfrom digikey.If i had measured everything before i put it in and bought stuff elsewhere other than digikey i would of saved myself alot of time.

Brinkman

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2009, 08:37 pm »
Good job on measuring everything. :thumb:

I've been shipped incomplete tube sockets from Parts Connexion, the wrong tube from Tube Depot, and the wrong component from Digikey.

It can be irritating if you're like me and have one day a week where you have a couple hours to yourself to solder and in the meanwhile the soldering iron and junk box are taking up space in the kitchen and pissing off your wife. Then you open the package and realize someone made a mistake and made your day a non-starter. Thinking to yourself, 'now it's going to be two weeks before I can get this done.'

I make mistakes at work all the time. Afterwards, I clock out and have a beer and forget about them. Life goes on.

Bill Epstein

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:32 pm »
Oh yeah!

Anybody need 20 pieces of KOA Speers/Kiwame look-alike 22 Ohm? I ordered 10 pcs of 220 Ohm from Mouser, they sent 22 Ohm. I called them, they apologised and sent me 10 more......22 Ohm :duh:

Other than that, in fairness, Mouser been berry berry good to me.

Brinkman

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:48 pm »
That's having beers during work, not after! :wine:

Did you try again?