Finally scored an Epson R300 Printer!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 12 Jan 2004, 12:56 am »
Man, these babies are impossible to find:  I got the only one in Sioux Falls! 8)   Hopefully this baby will live up to expectations, but I haven't even hooked it up yet (gonna do it after the game).

This is one of the only regular off-the-shelf printers you can buy that have a CD printing kit (aside from printers like EZCD & Primera that are made to print discs), and that's the reason I wanted it.  Luckily, in anticipation of my finally pulling the trigger on a CD printer, I got a few spindles of assorted full face CD-Rs and DVDr's last week.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to set up and dial in.  And I've really got my fingers crossed that discs will come out well on this thing.  I'm certainly gonna give it a try tonite, and I'll let you guys know how it works.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2004, 05:45 am »
Okay, nothing fancy but I printed my first disc. Wow!  Very cool.  I still have to see how colorfast they are when totally dry.  I'll probably get a can of disc sealant just in case.

My first disc was a picture disc printed onto a Memorex printable disc.  I haven't delved into the settings yet to figure out how to set it to print over the full surface of a full face printable disc.  But I'll check into a bit later.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2004, 03:29 am »
I've got it printing very nicely now on full face silver Taiyo Yuden discs, and they look awesome.  I'll never go back to paper labels or using a Sharpie again except on old discs that aren't printable.

Next up:  printing some ProDisc full-face-printable DVDs, for backup purposed only! 8)

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2004, 03:50 am »
Alright Rob, you've got our interest now. :) How much was this nifty printer?

Thump553

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2004, 02:00 pm »
Rob, can you print on any CDR or do they have to have a special surface?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2004, 09:24 pm »
The Epson is $180.  It has 6 separate ink tanks so you can just replace the color that's low- that's a cool feature.  Claimed res is something like 1440 dpi.  It has a fold down door that accepts a special CD tray.  When flipped up it works just like any other printer.

You do need special discs; they must be "Inkjet Printable."  Regular discs will just make a mess since the ink can't soak in.  I've tried 3 different brands, Taiyo Yuden (the full face printable silver ones), Memorex printables & Pro Disc Full Face printable DVDs.  The Memorex I'd avoid- with photo level detail they take over 24-36 hrs to properly dry.  The ProDics DVDs, however, take magnificent detail and are almost totally dry in 15 minute.  Likewise, the silver Taiyo Yuden dry very quickly.

Once dry the printing is very durable and color fast.  I do have some RunTech spray CD-R sealant/protectant on the way to coat the tops with.  This is supposed to give the printed surface more durability- we'll see soon.

White discs take truer color, but the silver ones look really cool.  I printed a Blackmore's Night Favorites CD with a photo of a roaring campfire against a black background.  On the silver disc, the fire seems to be lit from within, sorta glowing.  This "inner light" from the reflectiveness of the silver disc does look cool, but at the expense of looking a little washed out.  Sort of like the black of a DLP projector.  For blacker black and punchier color, I suggest white discs.

I took images of the cover of each album and shrunk them down, arranging them in a semicircle on the background.  Even at just over 1 cm X 1 cm, you can still read the album titles! :o   That's some nice print resolution.

Can't wait to print some more discs and try some more brands.  I've become a Mitsui convert, using their discs for all my important things.  It just seems they're harder and more scratch resistant than anything else I've tried.  They now make a full face inkjet disc, and I'm planning on ordering some ASAP.  I'll be buying some Inkjet Gold ones, too.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2004, 03:55 am »
Just got the spray sealer and tried it out.  The stuff isn't dry enough to tell how it's gonna work yet, but I can already tell you guys one thing:  don't apply the stuff in the house.  Especially in a 10' X 10' room! :oops:  :lol: