What is the gain of the Van Alstine amps?

trebejo

What is the gain of the Van Alstine amps?
« on: 15 Nov 2009, 05:15 am »
Trying to figure out how these amps will work with a TVC. What is the gain of the Insight amps?

The hybrid amp (Ultra) has gain set at 28db, based on a previous post (1 V in -> 25 V out). Is it the same for the Insight?

TVCs like high-gain amps, apparently. They like XLR inputs also, but we can't have everything.  :wink:

Wayner

Re: What is the gain of the Van Alstine amps?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2009, 12:37 pm »
I believe all of the AVA amps with the exception of the Ultravalve have the same gain. I think the boys try to keep to an industry standard (including input impedance) and all sorts of neat stuff like that.

Wayner

trebejo

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:28 am »
Well, a precise answer might not matter to some people, but those of us that actually pay attention to what the specs mean could use this kind of information.

Simply put, the preamp has to feed the amp. Some amps are better suited for that position than others, and there are two simple specs that speak to that: input impedance and gain.

I understand that Van Alstine might feel this way or that about publishing specs, but leaving out basic functional items like this smacks of unseriousness.

turkey

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2009, 01:38 pm »
Well, a precise answer might not matter to some people, but those of us that actually pay attention to what the specs mean could use this kind of information.

Simply put, the preamp has to feed the amp. Some amps are better suited for that position than others, and there are two simple specs that speak to that: input impedance and gain.

I understand that Van Alstine might feel this way or that about publishing specs, but leaving out basic functional items like this smacks of unseriousness.

Frank has stated the input impedance and gain of his products in the past. I'm sure you can search here and find the info.

I don't really worry about it because his products will work just fine with other normally designed products.

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:46 pm »
The voltage gain on all AVA solid state and hybrid amplifiers is 25.  1 volt in provides 25 volts out.  Input impedance of the solid state units is 24K ohm.  The input impedance of the hybrid amplifiers is 1 meg ohm (triode tube input).  The Ultravalve vacuum tube amplifier has a voltage gain of 15 and an input impedance of 470K ohm.

No attempt to hide anything about our product specifications, if you have a question, just ask us.  We don't publish specifications because in general they are useless in determining the suitability of the equipment to reproduce music well and we long ago withdrew from the "spec. race".

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:52 pm »
Related question, Frank...
24K to 1 Meg is quite a spread. Are there circumstances where you might recommend one or the other amp based on the preamp being used to drive it?

trebejo

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:16 pm »
Thanks, that was the information I was seeking.

I don't know why it would not be relevant to have such information, since it is an indication of where one has to set the volume knob on the preamp to achieve a desired loudness level. The last time I checked, that was a pretty important parameter! Specially with passive preamps...

Anyway, I am hoping to improve on the 29db of gain that I'm currently getting from the NAD. Amps that gain 30db or more are not so easy to find, but there are some here and there.

The (very) high input impedance of the hybrid is  very interesting, but I don't know if it implies the same ease of load on the upstream sources as it would if it was a straight SS amp with a (very) high spec there. I am guessing that the answer is "yes"--essentially, the sources are not required to put out much current--but it borders on being a random guess. This is also relevant, since my preamp puts a greater load on the sources as its volume knob goes higher; what is lost by having less gain at the amp is recovered by the high input impedance, maybe.

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:41 pm »
I don't know why it would not be relevant to have such information, since it is an indication of where one has to set the volume knob on the preamp to achieve a desired loudness level. The last time I checked, that was a pretty important parameter! Specially with passive preamps...

I'm not sure if this is helpful, I lend to listen loud or very loud and rarely is my preamp's volumn knob above 11 0'clock. My speakers are inefficient w/84.5 sensitivity.