Is it ever appropriate .....

macrojack

• Restricted
Is it ever appropriate .....
« on: 14 Nov 2009, 05:27 am »
...................to use the words "microwave" and "cooking" in the same sentence? I see that phrase as an oxymoron.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Is it ever appropriate .....
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2009, 05:35 am »
It's a fact of life in this bachelor's life and my microwave cooks real well from veggies to a cup of java.  :thumb:

I do prefer to call my microwave oven as a nuker and instead of cooking, I'm nuking. aa

Cheer,
Robin

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2009, 05:37 pm »
Microwave oven works by exciting the water molecules  -- I believe it resonates with rotation energy of the HO bond.  It cooks by heating the water in any food.  It's a tool to be used just like infrared heating.  You just have to use it appropriately.   

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2009, 06:06 pm »
I made a cabbage dish in it once that turned out really good!  :drool:

They are very good at warming leftovers and making potatoes.

The secret is to set the cooking power so that certain areas don't get screwed up while others remain cold. Walmart had a neat over with a browning element in it. That looked interesting.

A microwave cookbook would explain all the cooking possibilities.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2009, 06:19 pm »
I should have pointed out that I don't have a microwave. To me the whole concept is preposterous. Cooking in the truest sense involves fire, not rubbing electrons together at ultrasonic speed.

That said, pickling is a form of cooking, I suppose, as is fermentation.

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2009, 07:20 pm »
The microwave works very well for a lot of Indian dishes. See the "Microwave Moghel" by Julie Sanni.

turkey

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2009, 09:42 pm »
I too feel that a microwave oven is simply another tool to be used.

You can do good things to food with it, or you can make food inedible. It's the same with any other kitchen tool.

As for cooking needing to involve fire and not electrons, you're just a luddite. :lol:

Adding energy to food cooks it. Whether the heat is radiated by a dung fire, applied by conduction from an electrical resistance heater (electric stove) and through a metal pot into the food, or by conduction from the water in the food being heated by a microwave oven really makes no difference. You're adding energy. (Along with raising the temperature, you're also denaturing proteins. Those two things are really what cooking is.)

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2009, 10:29 pm »
The microwave works very well for a lot of Indian dishes.

I have a hard time buying that concept. All of my Indian business associates (and I have lots of them) all claim that to make authentic Indian cuisine that you have to get the spices really going, in hot oil, long enough that you can barely breathe. Don't see how that will happen in a nuker.

Pat

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2009, 11:16 pm »
I should have pointed out that I don't have a microwave. To me the whole concept is preposterous. Cooking in the truest sense involves fire, not rubbing electrons together at ultrasonic speed.

How's the "chuckwagon" Tom.... :jester:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2009, 11:27 pm »

That's the oldest story of mankind, you definitely have time on your side.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2009, 01:40 am »
Robin nailed it!

I have an atomic microwave.  It warms my water.  I also have a stove with an oven, but it's way too slow for 21st century applications.  Got to keep up with the times.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2009, 01:43 am »
A microwave is to cooking what Bose is to audio. It works, but how well is up for debate.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2009, 01:52 am »
A microwave is to cooking what Bose is to audio. It works, but how well is up for debate.

:lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2009, 02:03 am »
Like I said, it warms my water. :D

A healthy diet with lot's of fruit and raw veggies doesn't require cooking.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2009, 02:16 am »

Did you see this John ? :scratch:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier

I prefer mine cooked... :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2009, 06:55 am »
A microwave works extremely well for some things. 

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2009, 01:47 pm »

That diet might be "healthy" if you're not insulin resistant or are insulin sensitive, but it's death for those of us who are insulin resistant.  Fruit is bad. 

As for the microwave, I really use it just to reheat.  However, I've cooked corn on the cob and some other items in it with no problems.  It's a heck of a lot faster and easier to cook corn on the cob in the microwave than it is to cook corn using water.  Popcorn is another item that's incredibly easy in the microwave.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2009, 12:59 am »
As with damn near everything else, the middle ground is probably best, assuming no significant health problems. A wide variety of both cooked and raw vegetables and fruits is almost certainly healthier than all cooked or all raw or limiting yourself to only a few types of fruits & veggies.

Did you see this John ? :scratch:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier

I prefer mine cooked... :wink:

toobluvr

« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2009, 01:16 am »

Why not?   :scratch:

Cooks Illustrated / America's Test Kitchen, which in my estimation is a pretty serious authority on cooking, sometimes uses a MW.  Not usually as a complete cooking method, but as a step in a total cooking process:  blanching, softening, etc.

Good enough for them, good enough for me.  It's just another tool in the kitchen.

some young guy

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2009, 01:39 am »
Microwaves can be used to help dehydrate things as well sinse they heat the water content. You can nuke carrots and let them dry out to gring and make carrot powder for example (nice garnish). We used to do this in a kitchen I worked in years ago.