Apple iphone/touch SPL meters

bmckenney

Apple iphone/touch SPL meters
« on: 13 Nov 2009, 08:59 pm »
Just wondering if anyone can recommend an app that is reliable as an SPL meter for the touch/iphone.  I imagine a factor to consider is how good or bad the mic on the apple products are so I'd be interested in what is known on that front too. 

Basically I'd like something as good as a $50 SPL meter, which I don't have and don't want to buy if the apple products and apps work just as well.

bmckenney

Re: Apple iphone/touch SPL meters
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2009, 09:38 pm »
This production looks pretty good.  They person behind it even did some firmware development for Ayre Acoustics.

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/

TRM

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:39 pm »
This production looks pretty good.  They person behind it even did some firmware development for Ayre Acoustics.

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/

that's the one I use. I should grab a ratshack meter and compare the results I suppose

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:45 pm »
I can't see any of these working with the iTouch (part of thread title).....no microphone.

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:46 pm »
When used with the internal mic in the iphone I got a 5db difference from my calibrated spl meter playing pink noise. So its not very accurate. Probably ok for level comparisons.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:47 pm »
Some iPhone app vendors ask that you not use the mic in the first generation of iPhones; dunno if that's Nyal's issue.

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2009, 12:00 am »
Could be, I can't remember which iphone version I checked (it was a colleagues phone)

bmckenney

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2009, 12:38 am »
I believe the Touch has a mic too.  The vendors site does say it works with the Touch but they aren't sure accurate the mic is on the Touch.  And I know my son has done some recording of his voice on his Touch.

The iPhone 3G is better than the 3Gs.  Apparently the 3Gs rolls off the low end severely which was done by Apple to deal with noise (wind) issues encountered by users.

This thing is supposed to be more accurate than the rat shack meter.  I have read some reviews on the apps, including some by pro audio guys, and the consensus seems to be it is accurate.   And it does have calibration and weighting.  And it does have that kewl factor about it.

And there is an RTA app as well.  In fact there a number of apps, including a suite of all the apps called AudioTools.

Since I don't have a SPL meter, I'm going to spend $10 or so and get the SPL and RTA apps.  Seem like the best bang for the buck for me.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2009, 12:48 am »
Sorry, at least the first couple of gens of iTouch (including mine) don't.  I guess the new ones (released?) have mics and cameras?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2009, 06:04 am »
studiosixdigital

They have a whole kit with a calibrated mic... looks really interesting. I've been watching these guys for awhile.

dave