Worth Upgrading OPPO BD 83 for 2 CH Analog vs SB and FLACS?

adydula

• Restricted
Hello,

I have pre-ordered a SB Touch, and have digitized my collection of cds to FLAC on a USB drive.

I have an Oppo-BD83 player.

Recenlty Oppo has announced an upgrade to the 2 ch analog portion of this player.

So I have a few questions...

When using the OPPO as a cd player in analog mode..the new enhancement (better dacs and power supply) things should sound 'better' than the original dacs etc..

You still have the jitter issues because the player is still a player etc.

The new dacs are supposed to eliminate this jitter issue.

Well of you digitize the songs to FLAC and play via a SB and or dac combo this should eliminate this as well??

I guess the confusion is if I mod the OPPO with the new analog stuff for better sound, will this be better or worse than playing flacs via a SB or SB /DAC??

Alex

ebag4

Re: Worth Upgrading OPPO BD 83 for 2 CH Analog vs SB and FLACS?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2009, 05:55 pm »
Will the OPPO BDP-83 play FLAC files?  I haven't seen anything stating it will.

Bet,
Ed

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2009, 05:57 pm »
Alex,
This is not an easy answer.  It really depends on the fidelity/resolution of the rest of your system, your ears, room, etc.  The Oppo is a great value for redbook, but does not (without a real mod like Modwright's) compete with good $1500+ DACs that are fed a good firewire or low jitter signal (such as Metric Halo ULN-2,, Weiss DAC2, etc).  The Touch solution allows for far more flexibility in choosing DACs (albeit via SPDIF).  However, the Oppo does two things that no Squeeze solution will do.....BluRay and SACD (let alone video, multichannel music, etc).  Note:  I didn't say DVD-Audio (2 channel) cuz you can do that with the Touch (up to 24/96) if you know how to rip hirez 2 channel layers off of DVD-Audio discs. 

P.S.  if you don't, c'mon over to our HiRez circle   :thumb:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69151.0

And no, the Oppo doesn't play FLAC.  I don't think that was his question.  FLAC is his format of choice for the Squeeze options, not the Oppo one.  With the Oppo he's still spinning discs.  Me, I'd do both (Oppo for all things SACD and BluRay/DVD, computer for all redbook and hirez PCM).

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2009, 06:02 pm »
And no, the Oppo doesn't play FLAC.  I don't think that was his question.  FLAC is his format of choice for the Squeeze options, not the Oppo one.

Oooops, you're right, I misread his question.

Best,
Ed

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2009, 07:09 pm »
Yup,

I knew it wasnt an easy answer...Being an old school audiophile for many years theres a part of me that wants to pay the 299 for the OPPO 2 Ch audio enhancement but desires the convience of the SB Touch etc...

I think I will probable do the upgrade and test the sound quality on the OPPO, but I think the new SB Touch may spoil me!!

Alex