Apple TV to Bryston

23bw

Apple TV to Bryston
« on: 10 Nov 2009, 09:03 pm »
I'm seriously considering getting an Apple TV to store all my CDs in their Apple Lossless format.  Then I would connect the Apple TV TOSLINK output into my SP1.7.   Having all my CDs readily accessible is what I want to achieve without sacrificing SQ. 

Any Bryston owners currently using an Apple TV to their BDA-1 or SSP?  I like to know what you think about the sound quality compared to a CD played back on a transport.

Many thanks.

WBimmer

Re: Apple TV to Bryston
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2009, 12:11 am »
From what I've heard from people in the industry, Apple lossless isn't really lossless and does have some compression to it.  I have a bunch of CD's ripped with iTUNES in Apple lossless and the files are smaller than when I rip them in FLAC.

So I'm just saying that if you're wanting to get a lossless file, then maybe consider some other format such as FLAC instead.

Wayne.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2009, 01:43 am »
Hi,

Sorry to say I am not a fan of apple TV - Its not what I consider to be one of their better products.......

I use a Logitech (ex slim devices) Transporter , you an use logitech duet & others.

For me sound quality is excellent (3 wya passive Bryston's & PMC BB5 system)

BUT when I had my Mark Levinson Transport & Dac that did have better quality playback and I DO miss that quality.

I decided to go hard drive "lossless" based audio and sold my transport/dac......I have over 1TB (not GB) of music

BUT I am looking to go back to a transport & dac for best quality...........

I do think that will be Bryston BCD-1 as the price sits very well vs well known high end transports.

The Logitech Transporter also has DAC and volume control so for those that dont yet have DAC / Preamp the transport is a good option.

But I am 80% sure I will go back to transport/dac/pre amp as funds allow......

Andy.

oldmp3

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2009, 01:47 am »
From what I've heard from people in the industry, Apple lossless isn't really lossless and does have some compression to it.  I have a bunch of CD's ripped with iTUNES in Apple lossless and the files are smaller than when I rip them in FLAC.

So I'm just saying that if you're wanting to get a lossless file, then maybe consider some other format such as FLAC instead.

Wayne.

Not sure what you mean by "isn't really lossless"?  Do you mean ALAC is "lossy", i.e., removes some data?  Could you reference any sources for this? 

Lossless encoders such as ALAC and FLAC generally do compress data.  On average FLAC and ALAC produce comparably sized files.

There's a good article on lossless compression at http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2009, 02:16 am »
I run an Apple TV to an older Theta DAC while I save up for a BDA-1.  I love it.  It makes organizing and finding music very easy.  Something that I thought I'd have no use for on it was YouTube.  I've been watching a ton of live performances.  Pic and sound quality varies, but its a ton of fun.

I chose it over the other streamers for a number of reasons - local hard drive eliminates drop outs, computer doesn't need to be on, can be controlled by an iPhone or iPod Touch, and its TV interface.  The Apple TV's interface has changed recently.  It now has an internet radio tuner.

In regards to Apple Lossless and compression, it doesn't sound compressed to my ears.  There's no loss of dynamics, closed in sound, etc. as far as I can tell.

My DAC's optical input doesn't sound as good as its coax input.  Its not a night and day difference, but there's a difference.  My Apollo and Apple TV sound the same through the optical input.  Both reported have a bit of jitter through their optical output.

The BDA-1 reclocks and reportedly rejects jitter extremely well, so I doubt there will be any issue.

Just my 2 cents.

23bw

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2009, 07:08 am »
I too wondered if ALAC was truely lossless after reading up on it.  But it seems most who use it are happy with it.  Right now I have a few hundred CDs copied into iTunes in ALAC for my iPOD.  It works great in my car but I would like to play it back on my home system.   So instead of getting a dock like Wadia, I figure I just get a 160GB Apple TV for about $225 and be done with it.  I'll still keep around a CD transport for the occasional CD but most music will be played back on the music server.  My CDs are boxed up so it's a real pain to go looking for a specific disc.   Most of the time, I don't even bother.   So with a device like Apple TV I feel it's better to have the music to listen to than not at all.   

So for now I'll do as you Stu.  Will output an Apple TV to my SP1.7.  I'd be happy if SQ was 90% of a good CD transport.   If the results are not good enough for me, I'll consider a BDA-1 too. 

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2009, 12:06 pm »
I use an Apple TV into the Monarchy DIP/Upsampler Combo(control jitter) then into a Cullen Circuit modified PSAudio DLIII. Very nice sound. Adding the DIP/Upsampler Combo and modded DLIII turned this trio into a very smooth sounding digital set up I can live with.

Good Luck,

Gary

Crimson

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2009, 12:13 pm »
ALAC is lossless.

Toka

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2009, 09:49 pm »
ALAC is lossless.

Indeed it is...this has been shown time and time again.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2009, 10:46 pm »
ALAC is lossless.

Indeed it is...this has been shown time and time again.

Well maybe, maybe not .  But at least with AFLAC your losses are insured.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2009, 03:11 am »
Sorry if I'm hijacking a little...

Darth,

I just started looking into the Monarchy DIPs.  How does the Apple TV with it sound vs. straight into your DAC?  I have an older DAC that seems like it doesn't do well with jitter.

Also, what are the differences between the Upsmapler and Combo?  I've read item descriptions of the two, but must be missing something.   

JohnnyB

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2009, 09:08 pm »
I have been using an Apple TV for about 2 years.  No issues other than a small, ~1 second delay while the Bryston SP2 understands the input signal.

rblnr

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2009, 02:18 pm »
I don't use it into the Bryston, but I've been running an ATV into a Theta Casablanca and other DACs before that w/excellent results.  I think ATV is a very underrated device -- it just works, unlike Squeezebox and Sonos, both of which I've had some problems with via wifi.  I use ALAC btw, and there's not reason to believe there's any loss in SQ.  Lossless stuff is more or less like a zip file for music.

Further, the  3.0 software refines the interface so as to require few clicks to get around.  And as noted above, the iPhone/Touch makes a great remote and the internal storage means you can leave off the computer.  If you're going digital out, I don't understand why someone would buy an Olive, Sooloos, or any other expensive solution.