Compare 4BSST to 14BSST2

cascais

Re: Compare 4BSST to 14BSST2
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2009, 12:32 pm »
This might be a little late to reply the Math-Geek who seems to mistake my PSB M2 (Platinum series) for that other fine Canadian speaker, Paradigm. I bought the PSBs after exhaustive listening to other brands and still consider them outstanding, with amazing dynamic energy. (They were judged the best speakers under $2500 by Absolute Sound.) I agree about power being good for monitors, since at 4 ohms resistance, they produce 500 wpc from the 4BSST and are rated at 200 watts. The 14BSST2 puts out 900 wpc into 4 ohms. So it pays to be careful with the volume control if you have small speakers.

1oldguy

« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2009, 01:23 pm »
This might be a little late to reply the Math-Geek who seems to mistake my PSB M2 (Platinum series) for that other fine Canadian speaker, Paradigm. I bought the PSBs after exhaustive listening to other brands and still consider them outstanding, with amazing dynamic energy. (They were judged the best speakers under $2500 by Absolute Sound.) I agree about power being good for monitors, since at 4 ohms resistance, they produce 500 wpc from the 4BSST and are rated at 200 watts. The 14BSST2 puts out 900 wpc into 4 ohms. So it pays to be careful with the volume control if you have small speakers.

Hi Cascais

I recently also purchased the The PSB M2.I needed small Bookshelf speakers and was able to get them for 1500.00 as they were a demo pair.Did you compare them with B&W Bookshelf speakers?Curious as to your findings.

cascais

« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:57 pm »

Hi Cascais

I recently also purchased the The PSB M2.I needed small Bookshelf speakers and was able to get them for 1500.00 as they were a demo pair.Did you compare them with B&W Bookshelf speakers?Curious as to your findings.

Congratulations on your good deal on the M2s. I never compared them with B&W 'Bookshelf speakers' (I think that's a misnomer) and frankly never considered small monitors. I had always used floorstanders and owned Vandersteens at the time. But I had to downsize and tried out smaller floorstanders from Totem, ProAc, among others. Nothing moved me until the salesman suggested listening to the M2s. They knocked me out immediately and are probably my speakers for life, unless I can go back to full range as I sometimes miss that bottom octave.

1oldguy

« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:19 pm »

Hi Cascais

Congratulations on your good deal on the M2s. I never compared them with B&W 'Bookshelf speakers' (I think that's a misnomer) and frankly never considered small monitors. I had always used floorstanders and owned Vandersteens at the time. But I had to downsize and tried out smaller floorstanders from Totem, ProAc, among others. Nothing moved me until the salesman suggested listening to the M2s. They knocked me out immediately and are probably my speakers for life, unless I can go back to full range as I sometimes miss that bottom octave.

Did you know the Platinum Line of PSB speakers now officially no longer being made?I would hold on to those babies.

cascais

« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2009, 07:46 pm »

Hi Cascais

Did you know the Platinum Line of PSB speakers now officially no longer being made?I would hold on to those babies.

The Platinum Series--including the M2--still show up on the PSB website as the top of the PSB line of speakers.

1oldguy

« Reply #25 on: 18 Dec 2009, 12:03 am »
Yes They are there...But they are out of stock and aren't making anymore.Their new speakers are no longer made in Canada but in China.So hold on to what you have if you like em,which you do.

math-geek

« Reply #26 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:26 am »
This is part of the reason that I am a Dynaudio fan!  They have not whored themselves out to cheap Chinese manufacture.  Yes!  It is cost effective but is it good in the long run?  Their record of Q.C. is much less than stellar.

We are off topic enough now, so let's please stop.