DAC with subwoofer setup

audiocrazy

DAC with subwoofer setup
« on: 9 Nov 2009, 05:12 pm »
I've been thinking about adding external DAC in my system but I need some guidance.
I don't have dedicated 2-ch system but I have a dedicated HT room that serves dual purpose for both HT and 2-ch.
My setup consists of
Salk Song Towers QWT (xover at 80hz)
Integra DTC-9.8 preamp/processor
Cary Audio V12r Tube amp
Logitech Squeezebox Duet feeding FLAC
SVS PB2+ Subwoofer (Dual 12") with SVS AS-EQ1 equalizer
Room is treated by GIK Acoustic panels.

The preamp is set in Stereo mode as I need the preamp to crossover the speakers at 80hz to send the bass frequency to the subwoofer.
If I feed analog input from DAC to preamp and set it in stereo mode would it reconvert the analog signal to Digital to crossover the signal at 80hz?
If yes then would I benefit from adding an external DAC in my system?

Wayner

Re: DAC with subwoofer setup
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2009, 05:28 pm »
Yes to both or your questions. I have the Sony ES TA-E9000ES preamp with Frank's newest DAC and I listen to all of my music and movies in 4.1. I use the usual theater set up for movies like one of the Cinema choises, then I use a surround mode like "LARGE HALL", with the rears turned down real low for music. Then the MartinLogans are put in the "small" catagory, to activate the subwoofer and I cross-over at 90 hz. The external DAC sounds great out of my Sony ES XA20ES. The improvement is substantial. The reconverting (digital to analog to digital) and then back to analog is going to happen anyway.

Wayner  :D

audiocrazy

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:10 pm »
Thanks Wayner for the quick response.
I been researching the DAC and I've narrowed down my list to these DAC's
AVAHifi: Either Insight or Ultra DAC
Bryston: BDA-1
Benchmark: DAC1

I've read many rave reviews on Benchmark DAC1 but I've not found any one comparing it with Insight DAC.
The DAC1 has XLR output that I prefer over RCA as my preamp supposedly has better analog stage on XLR.

I could not find any detailed information on avahifi site. Is there a link that has detailed specification on Insight or Ultra DAC?

gjs_cds

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:24 pm »
Is there a link that has detailed specification on Insight or Ultra DAC?

I've stopped paying attention to specs in audio long ago.  They're too easy to 'game' and utterly not representative of the overall quality for them to be of any use.

If I'm not mistaken, Frank feels the same way...so he just refuses to play the spec-game.  A choice that I admire--to be honest.  With other manufacturers reporting dubious specs, it would be impossible to compete while retaining one's professional integrity.  So the answer is to simply not play the game.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2009, 10:02 pm »
I have the Insight+ DAC and it's impressive, tho I had it for only a short time (recently upgraded). That is the other benefit of AVA is that there are some nice upgrades that can be done to the same chassis (new electronics) and a substantial savings.

audiocrazy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2009, 10:37 pm »
I have the Insight+ DAC and it's impressive, tho I had it for only a short time (recently upgraded). That is the other benefit of AVA is that there are some nice upgrades that can be done to the same chassis (new electronics) and a substantial savings.
Wayner I've an additional advantage that I can go to Frank's home to get an upgrade since it live in Twin Cities :thumb:
Does any of the Frank DAC have XLR o/ps or can it be added easily?

Is there a Preamp that has the Insight DAC with built in crossover? That would be ideal in my case.

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2009, 11:00 pm »
Audiocrazy, give me a call at 651-330-9871 regarding your DAC requirements.  I suspect we can come up with what you want at a rational price.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rlee8394

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2009, 12:57 am »
Audiocrazy,

See Mel Ott's (sueata1) reply here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60243.0

Ron