Modwright DAC?

John151

Modwright DAC?
« on: 9 Nov 2009, 03:36 am »
Hey Dan, any plans to build or mod a DAC? I ask because after upgrading to the SWL 9.0 SE, I want more "truth" in my system.   :notworthy:

modwright

Re: Modwright DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2009, 12:58 am »
It is something that I plan to do in the future, but it is at least a year away.  I have several other products that I need to finish bringing to market first, but it WILL be done at some point.

Thanks!

Dan

RUR

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:29 am »
That's very exciting to hear, Dan.  Please keep us posted as circumstances warrant.

John151

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:30 am »
Dan - Will it be a new product, or a mod? 

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:58 pm »
Hopefully your product "roadmap" includes a single chassis combo preamp/DAC with S/PDIF (+/- TOSlink and USB inputs)!  Just plug in your favorite hi-res streaming source, and you're set!  Digital + tubes = audio ecstacy!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2009, 11:19 pm »
Dan - Will it be a new product, or a mod?

It will be a new product.  Once Dan is ready to create the product plan I'm sure he'll ping us on features, etc.  Not that I've already put in my own $.02 (we've been talking a Modwright DAC for years!!).   :thumb:

John151

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2009, 11:23 pm »
While we are on the topic, would it make sense to build a DAC into a Pre-Amp? I suppose that is a bad idea with the rapidly changing digitial technology, but it sure would make my set up a lot cleaner!

granosalis

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2009, 09:06 pm »
In the two box version of LS36.5 there should be enough space for the DAC.

Giuseppe

BudhaNl

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2010, 01:18 pm »
I for one am an advocate of adding the DAC to the 2-box 36.5. I'd send in my 1-box to upgrade to 2 and include the DAC as well in 1 huge upgrade :drool:

rpf

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:27 am »
So, Dan, I've stated before that I no longer enjoy up-sampling DACS (over-sampling being okay, as well as NOS) because I've identified the digital fatigue I used to experience as coming from their treble quality. A kind of "out of phaseness" with the other frequencies.

I recently had the chance (thanks to Levi here on AC) to spend a few hours with the new up-sampling Eastern Electric tube DAC based on the 32 bit Sabre chip in my system. It was impressive overall for the price and very impressive at any price in its presentation of high frequencies. Although I'd want to listen longer to be sure, I didn't hear any of the problems I've heard with all other up-sampling gear. The highs seemed very coherent with the other frequencies and were definitely very extended, sweet and resolving.

Have you heard any implementations of this chip, and, if so, what were your impressions?

Thanks,
Rob