Sp 1.7 upgrade

SHV

Sp 1.7 upgrade
« on: 6 Nov 2009, 11:47 pm »
Did a search and last posts on this topic seem to be in '07.  Is it still possible to get a SP 1.7 to SP 2.0 upgrade?

Steve

Phil A

Re: Sp 1.7 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2009, 12:03 am »
Did a search and last posts on this topic seem to be in '07.  Is it still possible to get a SP 1.7 to SP 2.0 upgrade?

Steve

I'm not sure if Bryston is still has the upgrade but not sure why you would want to invest that with new upgrades to the new formats to be available soon?  I forget what the upgrade cost ($1.3k?) but there is no change to the analog section at all.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2009, 12:04 am »

Steve

PS - Welcome to the Forum

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2009, 12:09 am »

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes we can still do the upgrade for you but as Phil mentioned the new hi res codex's (formats) are not available on the SP2.

james

SHV

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2009, 05:11 am »

Hi Steve,

Yes we can still do the upgrade for you but as Phil mentioned the new hi res codex's (formats) are not available on the SP2.
I am getting back into HT after a few moves and ~three years.  I have been using my 1.7 in a bedroom flat panel TV, 5.1 system.  In researching the current scene, I decided to get a Denon DVD3800 (good price) and use it for decoding, bass management, etc and the 1.7 as 7.1 analog to two Bryston monoblocks, 6B ST and 2BST. 

After hooking up the pre-pro to the mono-blocks, L&R fronts (two channel), there was an uncontrolled signal going to the B&W 802s.  Turned the gain to 0, then killed the power to the amps.  The 1.7 has a blown left fuse 250v 1.5Amp(?).  There may have been a power surge from the Panamax, but I think the problem is with the SP1.7.

This is a round about way to the upgrade question.  If the 1.7 needs to be returned for repair, should I upgrade to SP 2 specs?  Sound like the answer is no,  since it is already outdated digital and if the 1.7 can be revived, it will be used as an analog pre-amp.  (BTW is there a part # for the fuses and where to get them.  Should I replace the blown fuse or just assume that the 1.7 is blown?)

Thanks for the help. 

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2009, 05:56 am »
HI STEVE,

IT IS PROBABLY JUST A FUSE - THERE ARE TWO OF THEM NEAR THE POWER CORD.
EMAIL MIKE PICKETT AT BRYSTON WITH THE DETAILS AND HE WILL ASSIST YOU.
MPICKETT@BRYSTON.COM

JAMES

SHV

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2009, 06:37 pm »
Thanks for the help...e-mail sent to Mr. Pickett.

Steve