Should I: Install Windows 7 -- Buy a MAC -- Rant some more -- Set mine on fire?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
The wife and I have been having PC troubles for several months. Here is as much information as I can think of (maybe too much?) to help diagnose the problem. At this point in time, I'm willing to put some money in someones Paypal account to fix this.   

The wifes: Dell P4 2.4 Ghz 512MB  RAM XP Pro 2002 SP3 IE8 
Mine: Dell P4 2.8Ghz 1.0GB RAM XP MCE 2002 SP3 IE8 (with IE7Pro add-on) 
DSL and ISP with AT&T. The router/modem is a 2WIRE 2701HG-B. Mine is wired directly to the router, hers is wireless through a Linksys adapter. 

Here are the issues we're having: 
Her machine: - Often gets an error message "Internet Explorer can not display the webpage" while surfing the net. No rhyme or reason. I've been through the diagnostic tool in Internet Explorer. That's a joke. I've searched through forums, and websites galore. Looks like millions of people are having this issue, with a million possible causes. I've found no end to the amount of ideas, solutions, resolutions, guesses, flowcharts and diagnostic schematics available with no resolve to date. I think this is a "no charge standard feature" of IE, and is part of the software as it was designed. I'm convinced this is as it should be. The wife thinks otherwise. Please help her. 

My machine: - After clicking on a link, or opening a new webpage it will appear to load. I can see the [load] message in the lower left of the screen, the progress bar looks like it's accomplishing something (albeit very slowly). Then....I get a blank white page and the message in the lower left says [done]. After multiple refreshes, I'll eventually get where I need to go....maybe. Might take five or six times, might take holding the [Ctrl] button while refreshing may help, may not?? Who knows. Might have to try later that day. While I'm trying that particular page, I can open multiple tabs, and successfully open several pages, some of which might be streaming media (Youtube, or live weather radar), which tells me the internet connection is capable. The page that doesn't work is random. One day it's "this" page, another day it's "that" page. 

- Randomly doesn't show images. I receive the little red 'x' instead. After three or four clicks of the refresh button, I'll eventually get the image. I've gone to [tools] - [internet options] - [advanced] - [show images] and it's checkmarked. 

This is the one that will drive me over the edge:
- A few dozen times a day, I click on a link, or click on an email and all appears to be normal. The page loads normal, everything looks great. I'll start reading the text of the email or webpage, then within 10 or 15 seconds, I'll hear the "click" from the speakers like I've clicked a link, then I'll get a Dell/Google search page telling me "Sorry, we couldn't find http__________.com" Here are some related websites:".  I think the official term is this is a "redirect". I can then click the back button to get back where I was at, then click the button that "got me in trouble" in the first place.  The process may or may not repeat.  This is the bug that really gets my blood boiling and is most likely going to be the cause of my PC flying out a window.  Here's a screenshot of a failure page. Now....the address in red is different depending on where my original destination was.
This one in particular happened to be my PhotoBucket account.   

- At least once a day, my Squeezebox while stop streaming music. Nothing I do on the 7.4 edition SS software will make tunes play again. Strangely enough, this seems to happen when I've tabbed over to the SS software from another tab and clicked a button ('next' song, 'previous' song, etc...). That's when it locks up. The SB3 display shows the message "searching for IP address" (or something to that effect). I've unplugged the actual SB3, still nothing. The interesting thing is that the SS software on the PC still "counts down" the time remaining of the song that was playing when the lock up occurred, like it's still playing. No buttons on SS work. The only thing I can do to get music again is to restart the PC.   

Here are a few things I've done over the past few months:

- Both machines have had their latest and greatest updates from MS, IE (or whatever browser I happened to have tried) Avast, and AVG.

- I've purchased two copies of "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" ("TUT"). As a result, my PC now has quicker startup time, but no other benefit. She didn't notice a difference at all on hers.
- Both have had the "usual" things done, such as clearing the history, cache, defragmenting, scan disc, self diagnostics, etc...
- They've been maintained physically, like cleaning the dust from the innards to keep things from overheating.
- I've reset the modem/router countless times.
- Tried using IE in "No add-ons" mode.
- Installed various spyware/malware programs to find nasty things.
- Disabled firewalls, spy/malware programs, safety/security programs.
- I've had my ISP (AT&T) out here with a service technician a few times. No problems with "their end" of things. 
- Started threads on Microsoft forum, in addition to another very large, well respected PC tech forum, with zero replies on either thread. 

If I could get those things fixed, my wife and I would be very happy. Sorry for the long post, but I'm at wits end.   

Should I format all the drives and start over with Windows "7"?
Maybe I should buy a couple Macs?
Or become Amish and be done with all of it? 

Thanks,
Bob

mshan

If you decide to stick with Windows and want to upgrade to Windows 7, I recommend just buying a new system such as the Dell Vostro 220.

Check http://www.techbargains.com and see what type of deals they offer.  Often can get a complete system with monitor for $400 ish.

You have to look at details of the particular deal, because sometimes they try and just offer a dvd-rom and even Vista Basic.  You should be able to get a dvd burner and Windows 7 Home Premium, possibly a monitor too, for that price point.

And at least switch to Mozilla Firefox as a web browser; I use Internet Explorer only when there is that occaisional website that just won't display properly otherwise.

You can get more help in the operating systems and security forums here: http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11, but if you are ever thinking about upgrading to Windows 7, just buy new hardware (it will hopefully eliminate a lot of legacy compatability issues with no longer supported hardware).

Mr Content

Bob Like you we struggled for years with windows. Viruses, printing problems, internet problems, firewall problems....its seems the list is endless. At least once a month I had to track down and resolve some sort of problem.

Well we now have macs, and you know you will get points of view from both sides of the fence about this, BUT since we put macs in, we JUST DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.....period. Its just stupid easy with macs. everything JUST WORKS.
In fact we have just bought a couple of G4's for the kids, you know 10 yr old imacs, and they are as good as the current amd2 wizz bang pc's we got rid of. Its just crazey....we kick our self that we took so long to go to macs.

So there you go Bob, I am sure someone will come up with a fix for you, but that will only last until the next issue raises it's ugly head, and as you know , it will.

MR C :thumb:

srb

- I've reset the modem/router countless times.

Bob,

Two different systems, both having connection problems?  When you say you've reset the "modem/router" is this one of those combination units, or is it a separate modem and separate router?

Sounds to me like a bad router.

Steve

TomS

Bob Like you we struggled for years with windows. Viruses, printing problems, internet problems, firewall problems....its seems the list is endless. At least once a month I had to track down and resolve some sort of problem.

Well we now have macs, and you know you will get points of view from both sides of the fence about this, BUT since we put macs in, we JUST DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.....period. Its just stupid easy with macs. everything JUST WORKS.
In fact we have just bought a couple of G4's for the kids, you know 10 yr old imacs, and they are as good as the current amd2 wizz bang pc's we got rid of. Its just crazey....we kick our self that we took so long to go to macs.

So there you go Bob, I am sure someone will come up with a fix for you, but that will only last until the next issue raises it's ugly head, and as you know , it will.

MR C :thumb:
I am right there with you though it does really sound like a connectivity problem may be the root of the evil.

That said, after many years of Windoze machines, we've now added our third Mac (and a Linux server), finally looking to replace the last PC next year.  My daughter went through four years of college with a Macbook Pro with absolutely no issues, no virus, slowness, failures, spyware, none of that nonsense.  Just replaced one battery, that's it.  Higher price up front, less hassle in the long run.  YMMV.

Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Great info....
I would love for this thread to continue to get many more points of view (and hopefully tech support).
But here are a few comments so far:

mshan - I had Firefox for a few months. One of the biggest problems with it, was that it wouldn't display pictures. Not only that, but it wouldn't even display the little red 'x'. At least with the 'x', I knew I needed to refresh the screen to see what was there. Firefox didn't acknowledge the existence of an image at all. Imagine seeing a forum post and not knowing there was a picture embedded in the post. In addition to that, I also had the same problems I listed above. Google Chrome sucked too. Just different kinda suckage.

Mr. C. - Yea. I hate to say it, but a Mac has been in my mind for a while. I do not want to replace four PCs.
Plus, I worry that all my "stuff" isn't available on Mac. I know I can run that Windows "shell thing" on a Mac, but that seems like telling an alcoholic he can drink liquor as long as he holds his nose while he's doing it.

Steve, Tom - The router/modem is one unit. I have another identical unit the phone company gave me ("2WIRE 2701"). But hesitate to install it. My biggest fear is that the half dozen items on my network will give me a hassle. Networking has kicked my ass in the past.  :roll:

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Before you spend a lot of money, I'd recommend:

Backing up your files

Wipe the machine

Add memory (1GB is almost not sufficient.  512 MB just isn't)

Reinstall the OS you have from scratch with a very very stripped install and get the network working.

Test out your connectivity and see if you have the same issues

When you wait that long and THEN you get a redirect, sounds a lot like a virus or malware of some sort.  It should either connect or not - not connect and THEN redirect.

Macs can be terribly easy IF you can live with the application restrictions.  May or may not be an issue depending on what you need.

Bryan

Len_Dreyer

Bob,

Two thoughts for you:

Have you tried to attach your devices to another network? If the problems go away, your devices are good. Its your home network that's the problem.

If you have only one device "on" on your network, do still have the timing problems?

Edit: Maybe a simpler approach. If you have a friend with a laptop that works well on their network, what happens when they attach to your network?

Len

Crimson

One word: Bad Router (OK, I lied).

A: Replace your router.

And if you want,

B: Run a browser other than an OEM prepackaged dealio.

AB

I agree with Bryan.
Back up your important data. Add another gig of RAM. Reinstall XP and all its updates. Reinstall your apps and update your drivers. Reinstall your favorite antivirus.

For now you could run "HijackThis" and see what it reports. Just for kicks, you know... :thumb:

GHM

Yup I agree reformatting the drives is a good start. Google Chrome is another option for a browser. IMO its the best one out there at the moment!

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
I regularly run these utilities.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/
http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/Exterminate.asp
http://download.cnet.com/Glary-Utilities/3000-2094_4-10508531.html
http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Registry-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10678033.html
http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/
Seems to clear up problems for me.
Once when I did have a problem connecting to the internet, I took my laptop into Staples who did a troubleshooting session, which cleared up the problem. Had to leave it overnight, but it was free.`

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Bryan - Hmm....As much as the prospect of wiping my machine and starting over scares me, the prospect of buying a new unit doesn't.....Why is that? It's basically the same thing with a lot less cost. Might have to give your recommendation a shot.

Also, why is it necessary to "chase" RAM?
When these units where purchased, the amount of RAM they had was MORE than sufficient. What has changed in the world that 512, and 1.0 is no longer enough?
I'm not arguing, I agree the amounts are "meager" by todays' standards, I just don't understand what's changed.

Len - I've not had the opportunity to try an "outside" unit on this network. I don't have friends. But the problems seem to happen regardless of how many devices are on.

Crimson - Yes, that's two votes for replacing the router. That's another "free" option along with Bryans suggestion. Me likes free.

AB - Vote #2 for a clean install. Good point about "HijackThis". Been a long time, I'd forgotten about that one. I'll try that tonight, since it sounds quick (just for the helluvit). I'll let you know.

GHM - Vote #3 for clean install. I tried Chrome. I like the features, but it sucked the worst as far as "bugs". AT&T said it wasn't compatible with their "stuff". Based on what I saw, I believe them. That was the shortest lived browsers I tried.

Bob

EDIT: konut - I didn't know Staples did that for free. i wonder why they'd do that?
Anyway, thanks for the links. I'll check 'em out.

Len_Dreyer

Bob,

I'm looking at this from three perspectives. Your problems could be with any or all (the worst thing is having multiple simultaneous problems, so isolation is in order):

1) Connection with the internet. You have a wire distance longer than supported by your service provider.

2) Internal network.

3) Individual device setup.

Since all devices are having problems, I'm thinking network problem. Try testing your internal only network. Pull the wire to your network modem. This will allow you to test peer to peer (internal only) networking. Your SB3 is already setup for it. Does Squeeze Ctr (or whatever) work? If it does, add file sharing. If you have iTunes, try playing music from your wife's pc on your pc.

If this doesn't work, it is either you router or your PC/devices. Bringing in a laptop from the outside will help troubleshoot this. Good luck with it.

If everything works at this point, it's your wire distance to the internet.

Len

Philistine

Bob, been there got the tee shirt........unfortunately :duh:

I had to reinstall XP on my laptop about a year ago, and did the same on my business partners laptop last week.  The issues I have is that this should not be necessary and fixing Windows issues is an unproductive time soak.  I bought the Windows 7 discs for 3 computers recently but decided not to bother with the install and returned them today.

We have decided to get new laptops next week and have the following options:
Netbook
Windows laptop
Mac Book

Every time I buy a new computer I look at Mac's but get put off with the acquisition costs being double that of Windows hardware.  For the price of the MacBooks we need the equivalent priced Windows laptop has Blu-Ray, LED LCD screen...etc etc.  To help with the decision we're off to the Apple store on Monday to meet with the business adviser, which is equivalent to a personal shop.  The point I'm coming to is that the personal shop (a scheduled hour with a trainer to explore your needs and the options available) is a great way to find out if a Mac is right for you or not.  At the same time as you buy you can pay $99 for One to One, which is one hour of training a week for a year, in addition to this you can also join their personal project sessions which is a 3 hour window in addition for advice and training.  I'm tempted by this as, after starting with DOS 3 and all the Microsoft OS iterations up to Vista, I've become jaded by all the MS bloated, slow and expensive software.  To me MS are the antithesis of Moore's Law - what Intel gives you MS takes it away :thumbdown: 
Apple and Mac's are not perfect, but everyone I know who has one seems to love them - I'll let you know what we decide. 
Phil

orthobiz

Get a Mac

Paul

Leegross

Bob,

Get off the crazy Windows treadmill and go Apple.  I've used Windows professionally since MS-DOS 1.whatever, through three University and three Fortune 500 jobs, and each experience has sucked, big-time.  I cringe thinking about all of the time I've blown talking to IT support in India, Costa Rica, or wherever screwing with Windows, Office, and IE.  Have you seen the Apple "Trust Me" commercial?

I've lived personally with Macs for about the same amount of time and just use the things.   

Reread your post and think about the time you are and have been wasting with Windows.  People think they are saving money buying Window machines - they are indeed if they value their time at zero.

Go Mac.

Lee

TomS

Bob, been there got the tee shirt........unfortunately :duh:

I had to reinstall XP on my laptop about a year ago, and did the same on my business partners laptop last week.  The issues I have is that this should not be necessary and fixing Windows issues is an unproductive time soak.  I bought the Windows 7 discs for 3 computers recently but decided not to bother with the install and returned them today.

We have decided to get new laptops next week and have the following options:
Netbook
Windows laptop
Mac Book

Every time I buy a new computer I look at Mac's but get put off with the acquisition costs being double that of Windows hardware.  For the price of the MacBooks we need the equivalent priced Windows laptop has Blu-Ray, LED LCD screen...etc etc.  To help with the decision we're off to the Apple store on Monday to meet with the business adviser, which is equivalent to a personal shop.  The point I'm coming to is that the personal shop (a scheduled hour with a trainer to explore your needs and the options available) is a great way to find out if a Mac is right for you or not.  At the same time as you buy you can pay $99 for One to One, which is one hour of training a week for a year, in addition to this you can also join their personal project sessions which is a 3 hour window in addition for advice and training.  I'm tempted by this as, after starting with DOS 3 and all the Microsoft OS iterations up to Vista, I've become jaded by all the MS bloated, slow and expensive software.  To me MS are the antithesis of Moore's Law - what Intel gives you MS takes it away :thumbdown: 
Apple and Mac's are not perfect, but everyone I know who has one seems to love them - I'll let you know what we decide. 
Phil

I think the other more subtle thing is that I spend way less on software for the Mac.  Even the OS upgrade $25.  Family packs get me 5 copies of their office equiv for $99.  Compared to MS Office?  No contest.

Good luck.

lcrim

Your problem is with routing.  MS Windows sucks, but before overpaying for a Mac, Google Ubuntu.  Its free, I'm using it now.  The install is pretty straight forward.  You can install it as a dual boot w/ Windows, so you can go back if you get a panic attack.  Open Office is part of the install.  There is a version of SqueezeBox Server that runs on it.

Bigfish

You walk into a Sam's club and you can purchase a complete Dell Desktop PC with with 21 or 23" monitor for around $500.00.  You get it home and you need the help of a tech geek to get the auto load crap from starting up.  The business world went with PCs many years ago because Steve Jobs refused to license the Apple Software to other manufactures.  So we are all conditioned to put up with the B.S. of the P.C.  I don't own a Mac but without a doubt one will be my next home computer. 

Question:  How many MAC owners have you ever talked to about their MAC and found out that they were previous PC owners?  Of that group how many would ever go back to a PC?  The answer I have always received is - "NO WAY."

Ken