Plasma Recommendations.

Crimson

Plasma Recommendations.
« on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:29 pm »
I'm in the market for a 50" and a 58-60" plasma display. Haven't bought a teevee in eons and wanted to know what to look at and what to stay away from. Need lots of i/o and both will be in relatively bright rooms (10' windows and skylights). I'd love to pick up a couple Kuros but they're out of my price range. So, what's hot and what's not?

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Re: Plasma Recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:51 pm »
Panasonic Viera V10 series

mshan

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:04 pm »
Newest Panasonic plasmas are supposed to be quite good.

Given bright room with windows, still would at least look at quality LCDs from Samsung, for example.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:22 pm »
Kuros are not out of your price range   :thumb:

Look into Pioneer 500M and 600M sets.  Do so quickly because they are becoming harder and harder to get.

I recently had my 600M ISF calibrated and the results are phenomenal to my eyes.

goskers

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:19 pm »
I recently purchased a Panasonic 58" V10.  With HD, SD and DVD I can highly recommend this set.  I have left it in THX mode which may be a bit dark for some people but overall I feel that they display is excellent. 

The set I had before this was a 57831 Mits Diamond DLP unit which this easily betters in my opinion. 

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:15 pm »
So the V10 series seems to be the consensus. How do they compare to the LED displays? (I've ever really been a fan of LCD).

Rubbbq

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:29 pm »
I  picked up a Pioneer 500m about a month ago from B&H. The picture blows away any other tv on the market. Not only is the picture much, much better but the price was better then anything else in that catagory. Do yourself a favor and check one out. Good luck in your search

goskers

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2009, 08:07 pm »
I ended up getting an employee discount from Panasonic so I can't say that I did a great deal of comparison shopping.  I know that both the Pioneer and Panasonic sets get good reviews.  I was able to pick up the 58" unit for the best price that the 50" Pioneer set is selling for.  Eight extra inches for free isn't bad if you ask me.

I do wish that I would have ordered the 65" unit now  aa

Get out and look at these units.  You can tell for yourself if one set is worth the extra money over another.  Just make sure that you look at all the different feed qualities that you will be using.  Another plus for me was the fact that the V10 has the THX mode which will at least put me in the neighborhood of a separate calibration.

nature boy

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2009, 08:33 pm »
If you want a monitor (no tv tuner or built in speakers) the Pioneer 500M or 600M.  If you want a plasma with a tuner and built in speakers than the Panasonic V10 series.  Just went through this a month ago and purchased a Panny 54V10.  Chad B is coming to calibrate my set in a couple weeks.

NB

mark@marktwain

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2009, 10:38 pm »
I just purchased the panasonic P-50S1 50", 1080p plasma 3 weeks ago. I'm very pleased with it especially for the price I paid $860.00 including tax. The next step up, the G series didn't look $400.00 better to me and I didn't need the extra features it had. I would of really liked to get a 58" but it's double what I paid for the 50".

Mark

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2009, 11:01 pm »
Just curious, why do you want a plasma? Sony has some awesome LCDs, like the XBR series that will equal the video performance and last lots longer then the superheated plasma screen. In fact, I'd say, plasma is on the way out, or at least, being handed it's hat.

Wayner  :D

Crimson

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2009, 12:29 am »
Just curious, why do you want a plasma? Sony has some awesome LCDs, like the XBR series that will equal the video performance and last lots longer then the superheated plasma screen. In fact, I'd say, plasma is on the way out, or at least, being handed it's hat.

IMO, the best LCD doesn't come close to the best plasma.

Yes, there are power and heat issues, and yes there are concerns about end of life issues, but come on: my two channel audio system is currently using 16 power tubes and 8 line-level tubes.  :D

I've never been a videophile, content with a 32" no-name LCD and an old 32" XBR tubed workhorse (15 years old and still going strong) in the household. But I've changed it seems.

BTW, I just ordered a 151FD Kuro at almost half price (as well as a 48" Samsung 650) . Seems it's on blowout right now.

Thanks all for the input.

« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2009, 01:42 am by Crimson »

mfsoa

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2009, 12:48 am »
I've had a 58" Panny V10 on order at my brother's shop for several weeks now, with no indication of when it will show up.
Apparently they are massively backordered and some have been told that it'll be after the holidays before their local big box will get them in.

The sets are supposed to be great. Maybe I'll get to find out someday  :dunno:

-Mike

Crimson

« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:11 am »
My searches for availability of the 58" V10 also came up with nothing. None of my local big box or specialty stores have them, nor do they have any idea when they'll be shipped. Seems it's a hot item, as is the newer F-series.

Maxdd_nj

« Reply #14 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:45 am »
I did lots of in store/in home viewing and online review reading. I was seriously considering the Samsung LED TVs but they were just a bit more than I wanted to spend. Then I saw their somewhat new (since June) Plasmas which are the same foot print as their LEDs (just 1.2" thick!). I liked the picture quality more than their LEDs. The Plasma seemed warmer and skin tones appeared more realistic to me. The LED TVs look a little too sharp to me which gives too much emphasis to edges.

I highly recommend the Samsung PN50B860 Plasma. I love everything about it. It's got a slight audible buzz like plasmas tend to when bright whites are shown but the visuals are stunning. Go check it out.

Max

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:02 am »

actually Wayner in the sub 1k category Plasma beats LCD easily, (most LCD's in that category are 60hz refresh...horrible not to mention off axis viewing sucks)

Simply put if ambient light in you viewing room is not a problem, dollar for dollar plasma wins easily. New plasma technology is more energy efficient and with an expexted lifespan of well over ten to fifteen years, not an issue.

A friend of mine earlier this week picked up a 1080p, 50" Panasonic for less than 1200 bucks. I know of no LCD that can compete with that.

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 6 Nov 2009, 12:31 pm »
OK, but the 2.5K+ Sony XBR LCDs are 240hrz refresher rate (120 seems to be a better view on action  :scratch: ), but I haven't seen a Plasma for a while.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:42 pm »
   The LG 50" plasma after comparing to Sony and Panasonic had the better picture IMO. The price around $1000. With the addition of power conditioning [ Richard Grey and Tice Enhancer] and an a unused ESP powercord the picture is stunning.

charles

twitch54

« Reply #18 on: 8 Nov 2009, 02:41 pm »
You know in some ways the 'Plasma vs. LCD/LED" battles reminds me of the Sony vs. Mitsubishi battle of 25 years ago, it comes down to what type of picture one really prefers.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 8 Nov 2009, 03:02 pm »
OK, but the 2.5K+ Sony XBR LCDs are 240hrz refresher rate (120 seems to be a better view on action  :scratch: ), but I haven't seen a Plasma for a while.

Wayner,

If you look at reviews and user comments, the Sony LCD's (even the XBR's) fall behind the Toshiba and Samsung units, so if you want to compare LCD (LED or non-LED) to Plasma, you should at least take the best in class.   :wink:

The best Plasma tv's (from Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung) still beat the best LCD tv's, but the gap is closing.

Yes, Plasma tv's will use more energy than an LCD tv, but that gap is also improving.

Plasma tv's not only have a better picture, they are also significantly better at off axis viewing.  Even the best LCD's picture quality drops off quickly if you aren't looking straight on.  Plasma tv's are also better at tolerating direct and reflected light.

All that being said...if you want a super thin tv and want to be as green as possible, LCD is the way to go.

Back to the OP...

I would grab a Plasma from Pioneer, Panasonic, or Samsung (in that order) over any LCD at this point if my top concern was picture quality and usability in any "normal" (aka non-dedicated) room.

Best of luck.

George