Crossovers used

standub

Crossovers used
« on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:45 am »
I couldn't find a thread on this but I was wondering what kind of crossovers are used in these speakers?  Mainly I was wondering if they are 1st or 4th order in-phase crossovers.

kip_

Re: Crossovers used
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:45 pm »
I think Rick almost never uses 1st order crossovers. The frequencies and slopes are usually proprietary - since Rick doesn't manufacture drivers themselves, they're mostly what he sells in his kits.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:53 pm »
I couldn't find a thread on this but I was wondering what kind of crossovers are used in these speakers?  Mainly I was wondering if they are 1st or 4th order in-phase crossovers.

The crossovers vary depending on what's needed for the best driver integration and smooth response. I tend to avoid first order filters because they have an assortment of audible problems. I'm not a minimalist but neither do I see how many parts I can fit on the board.  :)

standub

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2009, 04:01 am »
So I take it that you can/do make a speaker with an in-phase crossover?  I'm just wondering since i'm looking at putting together a home theater and how found that in-phase is a big deal for my ears, and since I can listen to on-line speakers sellers I might as well narrow them down  :D  Then again if you come out to RMAF next year...  :icon_lol:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:04 pm »
So I take it that you can/do make a speaker with an in-phase crossover?  I'm just wondering since i'm looking at putting together a home theater and how found that in-phase is a big deal for my ears, and since I can listen to on-line speakers sellers I might as well narrow them down  :D  Then again if you come out to RMAF next year...  :icon_lol:

Yes, I can do in-phase crossovers if you mean that the drivers are of the same polarity. The most important thing is that the driver integration is optimized. In some cases for the drivers to sum correctly (in-phase) that means different slopes and possibly reversing polarity on the tweeter and / or mid if it's a 3-way.

We have a 45-day return policy so you're welcome to hear a pair in your own listening room. Our speakers compete with anything you listened to at the RMAF and cost less as well.