96/24 via usb/firewire convert to optical

polar316

96/24 via usb/firewire convert to optical
« on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:27 am »
i have a firewire800 and usb2 on my imac. i currently have the cambridge audio dacmagic plugged in via usb, and much to my dismay just read that i cannot achieve over 44/48 via usb. is there any device that i can use in between the dac and the usb/firewire that will allow me to convert to optical to be able to listen to 96/24 that i have on my computer?

srb

Re: 96/24 via usb/firewire convert to optical
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2009, 04:30 am »
There are a number of devices that will convert USB to S/PDIF @ 24/96, however most output S/PDIF as coaxial rather than optical, and many cost more than the DacMagic, such as the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96 at $500.  April Music also has the Stello U2 at $349.

There are also a few pro-style FireWire recording interfaces that can output coaxial S/PDIF @ 24/96, such as the M-Audio FireWire Solo at around $200.

There is a new USB to coaxial S/PDIF converter (24/192) coming out soon from M2Tech called the hiFace ($150), but it uses proprietary drivers and currently only works with foobar (and possibly Winamp) media players.

Why do you specifically want an optical output?

What media player are you using?

Steve

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2009, 05:07 am »
i have a firewire800 and usb2 on my imac. i currently have the cambridge audio dacmagic plugged in via usb, and much to my dismay just read that i cannot achieve over 44/48 via usb. is there any device that i can use in between the dac and the usb/firewire that will allow me to convert to optical to be able to listen to 96/24 that i have on my computer?

Can't you just use the optical output from your iMac?  The Cambridge website indicates that the DAC has a toslink input.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2009, 05:16 am »
Can't you just use the optical output from your iMac?  The Cambridge website indicates that the DAC has a toslink input.

I think the forest (and original question) blinded me for the trees.  Yes, an iMac should have a combo headphone/optical S/PDIF jack which would only require a mini-Toslink to Toslink cable to plug into the DacMagic.

Steve

polar316

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:34 am »
thanks guys- i was completely unaware of what a S/PDIF jack was, or that it existed on my macbook and imac  :D

jaywills

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2009, 12:10 pm »
Depending on the model of your Mac, the audio out port (the "headphone port") doubles as an optical out with an appropriate adapter.  I run mine into a TacT DAC which accepts 24/96 (this is the max rate for optical, IIRC).  You can get an adapter fairly cheaply from Apple or try googling "iMac optical adapter."  Good luck.  Cordially,

chrisby

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:05 pm »
much fun,  those proprietary Apple connectors

EDS_

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:12 pm »
The goofy little mini-optical connector needed for an Apple comb output is included with a good number of toslink cables.