No sound from front speakers

Charles Calkins

No sound from front speakers
« on: 5 Nov 2009, 12:18 am »
Was doing my household chores this morning. I had my surround sound system playing at the time. Normally I only listen to this system when I'm watching a DVD movie. I noticed that the front speakers were not working. Center and surrounds were all working. I tested everything including doing a start from scratch reset of the Onkyo receiver. No luck what so ever. I finally tracked the problem down to the speaker wires. I changed them and Lo and Behold everything works!! I've never run across a problem like this before in my life. Speaker wires taking a crap??? Never heard of such a thing.  I can can understand that maybe one speaker wire going bad for some rason or other but two at the same time!! It's a puzzlement!!.

Cheers
                                        Charlie

srb

Re: No sound from front speakers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2009, 01:34 am »
Did you terminate them yourself?   ;)

Having both cables go bad isn't an impossibility, but a statistical improbability.  Are you sure they are actually bad?  Perhaps a speaker relay on the Onkyo was stuck and removing the load unstuck the relay (where the reset didn't) ?

I don't know, I'm just curious.

Steve

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:03 am »
Steve:
  Bananas on both ends. Don't think it was a relay. I hooked the right front speaker wire to one of the rear speaker terminals. No sound. I know that center and rear were working okay. New wires to front speakers and everything okay now.
IT's a Puzzelment!!!

srb

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:12 am »
Charlie,

Maybe we need a sticky thread in the General Audio circle called "Audio Anomalies For Which The Reason Will Never Be Revealed".   ;)

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:22 pm »
I'll second Steves idea of the thread. I started a thread a few weeks back in the lab about something that'll probably never be explained. I'd love to hear the answer to Charles issue. I was thinking maybe a light film of corrosion on the terminations, but it would be odd that it happened to the two fronts at the same time.

How about you put them back in the system and see what happens?

Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:38 pm »
This has worked out well. You got something interesting to talk about and fixed your own problem for free. Silver linings.

Have you checked the old wires for continuity?