A n00b with questions

johnjen

Re: A n00b with questions
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2009, 05:37 am »
I really do understand coherence.  Many years ago we stumbled upon a system that by all rights should have sounded only ok.  It blew our socks off.  We have been trying to reproduce that experience ever since.

When the sum of the parts exceeds your wildest expectations and the sound is not only coherent but revelatory in any and every way, well, it approaches a spiritual experience.  We weren't just listening TO the music we were immersed IN the music.  And the inner detail was so revealing that you could hear the musician breath in and then hear him insert his finger in his mouth and then do a finger pop all while 20 other 'voices' were playing at the same time.  It was like a central nervous system tap.
I'm hoping that we can achieve that degree of tangibility yet again, with the ribbon mid-range driver.

JJ

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2009, 08:04 pm »
I really do understand coherence.  Many years ago we stumbled upon a system that by all rights should have sounded only ok.  It blew our socks off.  We have been trying to reproduce that experience ever since.

When the sum of the parts exceeds your wildest expectations and the sound is not only coherent but revelatory in any and every way, well, it approaches a spiritual experience.  We weren't just listening TO the music we were immersed IN the music.  And the inner detail was so revealing that you could hear the musician breath in and then hear him insert his finger in his mouth and then do a finger pop all while 20 other 'voices' were playing at the same time.  It was like a central nervous system tap.
I'm hoping that we can achieve that degree of tangibility yet again, with the ribbon mid-range driver.

JJ

Hi John,

Welcome to the VMPS Circle.

One thing you will find here is "diversity".

Brian has designed a line of speakers that can be used in a wide spectrum of audio enjoyment.

From the driver selection, most of which are either custom designed and built, or modded by Brian, to the current selection of both active and passive crossover/equalization systems, (D-OXO and OXO) there is a lot of latitude in the way VMPS'ers use their speakers.

Ultimately B, has a DESIGN goal of offering a product that has a SONIC SIGNATURE which he prefers, and offers.  This VMPS SIGNATURE SOUND is borne out of the often unusual methods Brian uses to achieve the results.

Some of this is conventional wisdom which you will find in any number of High END speakers on the market, which you can read and learn about in the most sophisticated "speaker building texts".  But much of what goes into VMPS speakers IS NOT the standard tangible engineering blueprint of electronics, cabinetry, and drivers.

Brian has a unique ear to create a "blended" sonic between drivers that IS NOT in the manuals nor can it be accounted for via some type of measurement/equalization network.

However B, knows that many VMPS users are of the tweaker or even modifier ilk and is always open to advising them how to "play with and enjoy" his speakers on their own terms.

The sum of parts in a VMPS speaker is a veritable "TOY BOX" in the hands of a serious enthusiast.  Even the stock VMPS comes with an adjustability not commonly found in the majority of speakers now days.

Although they come from the factory "TUNED" by the Maestro himself, you are welcome and even encouraged to "make them your own", by assembling the front end that makes your ears smile and then "fine tuning them" via the L-Pads and Putty, or the D-OXO and Putty.

VMPS speakers are sensitive to the signal fed them more so that most speakers.  You will be able to hear differences in system adjustments and changes to a very high degree, IF those changes are capable of making the difference.

Tubes, Solid State, and the various classes of amps and other gear are a case in point.  You will find VMPS owners using an extremely wide range of electronic gear, and as addressed above, even active and passive biamping with all combinations of types and powered gear.

My experience has been much the same as what has been posted above, and that is for the best BASS, you need high power and damping.  For the sweetest highs tubes seem to make ribbons THE ultimate in high end.  For the neopanel ribbons, you will find that quality will shine through, and you will "know it, when you hear it".

While you will find few who don't like VMPS, you will find that most all have come to enjoy the journey of sound that they take.

Regarding the ARCAM.  Chances are it will sound absolutely incredible.  However if you are only using the system as a 2 channel music system, you have significant option available in the $4999 range (as is the msrp on the AVR600)

However if you are also going to build a HT system, it certainly should offer a nice foundation for BOTH

johnjen

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2009, 06:46 am »
Thanks for your post.  I also sent you a direct e-mail with a question or 2.

One thought that has occurred is the AVR600 has 6 channels of essentially 20 watt class A amps (which switch over to high power when needed) which are 'matched', sort of.  This could be used as a bi-amp or tri-amp source to power the RM30's. Of course this assumes that this form of 'matching' is desireable in and of itself.  This may not be the case.

At this point in my head scratching I'm open to a wide variety of possibilities, even going with the d-d-d-d-digital crossover.    :lol:

JJ