LS6 Question

Fatawan

LS6 Question
« on: 3 Nov 2009, 05:09 pm »
Hi Danny

I use 3 x LS6's for the L/C/R in my theater. They are up on a 2' stage. That makes the ears of the first row listeners line up on the low side of the array. It actually sounds better if I sit up higher. Second row listeners are fine. Would it be ok to tilt the LS6's forward a bit to get more of the array output firing at the first row or would that cause interference from the floor? Just wondering.

Thanks

Fatawan

Re: LS6 Question
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2009, 07:06 pm »
???

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2009, 12:24 am »
You can tilt them a little so long as it remains stable.

I'd be more inclined to bring them forward and get them off the stage and out away from the wall several feet to give you the deepest sound stage and best overall sound. But that might not look the way you want it to.

Fatawan

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:07 am »
This is a crappy picture, but it does show how I really can't pull them out into the room as there is no room!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:53 am »
That's really too bad. A very compromised situation for truly great speakers. You are definitely not getting all you can out of them the way they are set up right now. The subs have the same situation.

I actually feel real bad for you!  :?

Anand.

Fatawan

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2009, 04:26 am »
Actually, I don't have those subs anymore, and I did find that it was best to have subs elsewhere in my room--not behind the screen.

toddbagwell

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2009, 09:31 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but could the speakers be inverted, thus putting the array a few inches lower, closer to ear level for the first row?

I can't tell from the photo, do you have bases on your speakers?

todd

Skiman

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2009, 07:14 pm »
You can tilt them a little so long as it remains stable.

I'd be more inclined to bring them forward and get them off the stage and out away from the wall several feet to give you the deepest sound stage and best overall sound. But that might not look the way you want it to.

If it is possible to tilt them enough to sound better at first row ear level and this causes them to become unstable, could he just anchor them at the top with cables? Pro sound speakers are frequently hung by cables. Why not get a bunch of people over to experiment, making sure that they are securely held in place while listening?

Could the lower planer driver on each speaker be replaced with one had a different dispersion characteristic?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2009, 08:38 pm »
Any time you hang or suspend a speaker the bass response goes away.

Could the lower planer driver on each speaker be replaced with one had a different dispersion characteristic?

No. It doesn't work that way.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2009, 05:42 am »
Yeah I've played with cables, doesn't sounnd good at all. The drivers have to move, and the baffle has to NOT move :)

Fatawan

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2009, 08:12 pm »
This does sound better

toddbagwell

« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2009, 02:29 pm »
Glad to know you like the sound with this orientation. I'm also glad you survived the process three times!   :thumb:

todd