Beef shank and short rib

MaxCast

Beef shank and short rib
« on: 1 Nov 2009, 11:35 pm »
Got these with the 1/2 cow we bought.
The beef shank looks like a little steak but didn't cook like one.
I have not tried to cook the short ribs.
Any ideas on how to cook them?

JackD201

Re: Beef shank and short rib
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2009, 01:34 am »
My favorite use for short ribs are both Korean, the beef stew and the char broil of thin (3 to 4 mm) bone in cuts marinated and grilled. Both ways remove excess fat via the cooking process and make for good eats  :green:

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2009, 02:53 am »
Thanks, Jack.  I am not to excited to cut the ribs that thin.  But I may throw them into a pot and reduce them down for stock and some meat.
What would be in a Korean beef stew?

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2009, 04:49 am »
Hi MaxCast, this recipe worked out very nicely for me

http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?id=1097545233&category=Korean

Enjoy!

some young guy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2009, 05:08 pm »
A couple favorites of mine...

Beef short ribs braised in red wine and beef short ribs braised in red curry and coconut milk.

For the red wine version:

Mix the raw ribs with fresh herbs, black pepper corns and garlic. I use thyme, rosemary, sage. parsley, tarragon and bay leaf. Leave everything whole. Place the ribs in a container large enough to hold them all and have enough room to cover them with liquid. Cover with red wine and let them marinate in the fridge for a day or two.

Remove the ribs from the marinade and let them drain on towels. Apply a good amount of salt and pepper to the ribs. Strain the red wine into a small sauce pan and bring it to a boil (removing and impurities that rise to the top).

Brown the ribs in a pan and place them in a braising pan. Add carrots, onions and celery to the pan, sweat it and them pour over the ribs. Add more fresh herbs (tied in a bundle is best) and garlic, then cover with equal parts of the red wine and some beef, veal or chicken stock. Cover and place in a 260 degree oven for about 4-6 hours or until tender. Try not to allow it to boil.

I like to serve this with horseradish mashed potatoes, green chard, some Dijon mustard, conichons and a little sea salt.

Braised in red curry and coconut milk....

I marinate the ribs with ginger, garlic, green onion, galangal, Chinese curry powder, sugar and fish sauce for a day or two.

Lightly brown the ribs and put them in your braising pan. Add onion, garlic, ginger and galangal to the pan and sweat and add a couple tablespoons of red curry paste. Add this to the ribs along with coconut milk and some stock. Cover and place in a 260 degree over for 4-6 hours or until tender. When it's done, finish the sauce with enough fish sauce to salt it and enough sugar to balance. I serve this with pan fried veggies and rice, topped with a salad of mint, cilantro and basil.

I hope this helps...