recommend a tube amp

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: recommend a tube amp
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2009, 12:34 am »
One of my favorite designs is the single ended parallel (SEP) topology. It provides single-ended tonality but is much more robust. Any power tube can be used and 30+ watts can be delivered per channel. with 6550's  :drool:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:22 am »
thanks guys! 

I got a used Decware off audiogon that I couldn't pass up...this will give me a good "feel" for what the tubes will do on the ribbons.  If I ever want to upgrade, shouldn't be a problem selling this beauty.
i had a decware before i got my almarro.  the almarro crushed the decware in all performance aspects.  but, to be fair, i suspect it was cuz i was using 14 ohm speakers at the time.  steve deckert assured me that the decware amp would have no problem whatsoever w/the 14 ohm load of my 97db-efficient coincident wictory's i had at the time, but that wasn't even close to being the case.  that amp wanted to see a 4 ohm load, 8 ohm max.

doug s.

OK.  According to the Almarro site they only have one amp option which is  P-P
mono blocks...two much for what I'm going to use it for.  We'll see how the Decware does.
http://www.almarro.com/products.html

doug s.

Yes, that's where I found that they only have one amp...everything else is intergrated.  Doesn't work for my system. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:23 am »
Just a touch higher than you want to go, but I would seriously consider this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72057.0

Frank Van Alstine is moments away from full production on the new Ultravalve amp featuring 6CA7 power tubes, with the 5AR4 rectifier tube, pushing 30 watts RMS per channel. Many reviewers at the RMAF wanted a sample for review, as it would push most moderately effiecient speakers to amazing power strokes. At $1699, it is a true bargin an it also sounds like a 100 watt per channel amp as the bass control is perhaps the best in the industry for a 30WPC tube amp.

Wayner  :D

Now you tell me.   :D  I look forward to reading more about it.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:30 pm »
thanks guys! 

I got a used Decware off audiogon that I couldn't pass up...this will give me a good "feel" for what the tubes will do on the ribbons.  If I ever want to upgrade, shouldn't be a problem selling this beauty.
i had a decware before i got my almarro.  the almarro crushed the decware in all performance aspects.  but, to be fair, i suspect it was cuz i was using 14 ohm speakers at the time.  steve deckert assured me that the decware amp would have no problem whatsoever w/the 14 ohm load of my 97db-efficient coincident wictory's i had at the time, but that wasn't even close to being the case.  that amp wanted to see a 4 ohm load, 8 ohm max.

doug s.

OK.  According to the Almarro site they only have one amp option which is  P-P
mono blocks...two much for what I'm going to use it for.  We'll see how the Decware does.
http://www.almarro.com/products.html

doug s.

Yes, that's where I found that they only have one amp...everything else is intergrated.  Doesn't work for my system.
i use my a205a mkll as a stand-alone power amp.  the only extra dewice in the circuit is the wolume pot, which i have max'd out, so it's basically not there.   there is no preamp in this amp.  if you are really concerned, you can always bypass this pot, and even bypass the input selector switch.

doug s.

boycephoto

« Reply #24 on: 8 Nov 2009, 04:38 am »
Audio by VanAlstine "UltraValve", AVA has a 30 day return peroid, you can't go wrong.  It's a great amp for the $$$.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #25 on: 8 Nov 2009, 06:09 am »
The UltraValve is a terrific amp. The low end extension is great and very well-defined, unlike some other tube amps.  The amp looks very good, too.  Robert Harley referred to the UltraValve as the "Greatest Bargain at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest".

http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-greatest-bargain-the-rocky-mountain-audio-fest

The UltraValve is currently 1699.00, which is a little more than the OP's desired price. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 8 Nov 2009, 07:23 am »
Audio by VanAlstine "UltraValve", AVA has a 30 day return peroid, you can't go wrong.  It's a great amp for the $$$.
i don't think this type of amp is what the o.p. is looking for, to power very high efficiency tweeters.  but, if i were looking for an amp like this, and i was shopping new, i'd be hard-pressed to pass up this one - 65wpc ul, 35wpc triode, dual-mono, can be run as integrated or bypassing its preamp, bias adjustment for each power tube, also awailable in black & silver, $523 shipped, (if you want it shipped airmail another seller can beat this seller's price, it would be $607; seller is tubestein168; tubestein's surface shipping is the same.) :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260501172653

i took delivery of one of these for a friend; i never tried it, cuz my ~100db-efficient horns will blast w/5wpc.  but, it looked even better in person than it does in the pics.  and, i have heard a few folks rave about this amp, even at the $1399 price grant fidelity used to sell it for.  http://grantfidelity.com/site/A-88+KT88+Tube+Amplifier  it was all i could do to restrain myself from buying one for a second system, but i already have a mesa baron waiting for that.   :green:

doug s.

AudioSoul

« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2009, 05:15 am »

I like the Audio Electric Supply Super amp. It is 25w ultralinear or 15w triode. It is a all class A design and is great for single driver speakers of higher efficiency....... :wink:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2009, 07:17 am »
It is a set of high efficiency ribbon tweeters... Class A, 2-10w/channel. No care about how well it does in the bass, but needs highs. The big push-pull AB amplifiers just do not qualify for the task. You want finese.

Any output transformer compromises on one end to do the other end, particularily SE amps. This is really the job for a special built amp, with an OPT designed with no care for bass reproduction (ie no care <300 Hz or so). But you would need to diy it, and you'd have to do some searching for OPTs (or be creative & repurpose a transformer designed for some other purpose or just pay for some custom ones)

dave

Dil

« Reply #29 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:40 pm »
I would go for a rebuilt Dynaco ST-70 on eBay built by a lister called Cleby out of New York (I have no connection except a satisfied customer). His units are completely updated and sound warm and full. Winning bids are currently in the $400 range. I got mine several years ago for $700, have used it extensively without a problem.

Dil.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #30 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:24 pm »
There is a AVA Ultimate 70 on sale here on AC for 850.00.  The amp appears to be in very good condition, from the photos, and Frank Van Alstine might be able to tell whether or not the amp was a kit or factory assembled amp.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 22 Nov 2009, 06:01 pm »
dil & oneinthepipe - re-read what the o.p. wants.  anything >10wpc and/or push-pull is likely not gonna qualify.  my mention of the yaqin was an off-topic response of what i'd be getting if i wanted a more powerful push-pull amp.

also read planet-10's response a few posts up.  he really nails what the o.p. could use, if willing to go custom.

doug s.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #32 on: 22 Nov 2009, 06:16 pm »
I believe he has already filled in the position for a new tube amp. To keep prices in the reasonable side for a single-ended, low power amp, I would suggest a single ended 6L6, El34, EL84 or 6V6. Any one of those tubes performs admirably well and the amp can be made in a compact enclosure without heavy iron (keeping the price low).  More then likely, I would lean towards a SE EL34 or 6L6 so performance will not erode with music complexity.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #33 on: 22 Nov 2009, 06:16 pm »
Sorry, I lost track of the original question.